Where do I buy a coil ?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Roy Gavin

Re: Where do I buy a coil ?

Post by Roy Gavin »

You didn't say anything about twin plugging - the crappy Jap coils I would give you for nothing were removed because they didn't work with twin plugs and stock BMW hall sensor ignition.

Boyer are reputed to have the best curve for twin plugs, and the $250- system replaces the AR unit, Hall sensor, both coils, ignition control module, and the plug leads and caps is seems a cheap and quick way to eliminate all potential dud components if one fell swoop.
I hope you arn't in Canberra - it was the duffer over there who fitted the Jap coils for the PO---------.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Sibbo wrote:Gavin ,would it be too much to ask you to check the resistance on your R80 coil to compare to the the Japanese version .I'd check mine but I suspect they're not at their best .

I bought 4 plugs today ,I'll fit them in the morning and see how that goes .
Opps , you're right but I did offer a clue !

She came back from the doctor cured and happy .Just general bad tune , little bits of corrosion ,a small crack in a high tension lead ,another suspect neither of which we easily visible .Changed a couple of plug caps ,the coils (old Japanese ) tested out fine.It all added up to not quite enough spark but happy when she was going .She's lovely now !
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

At least no one's told me I'm an idiot .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

Funny about the plug caps - one of mine was dodgy too - It just slightly out of spec cold , but it had about 20 k resistance when it was hot.
I sleeved the plug leads where they intertwine with the rest of the wiring up under the tank - this seemed to make a difference too, but I suppose the current was just looking for somewhere to go
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic