BMW engine in Dnepr?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
DanielMc

BMW engine in Dnepr?

Post by DanielMc »

If you put an airhead engine in a Dnepr outfit it makes it go backwards, apparently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMUAhQIWCo
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers might not be able to tell the difference." Samuel Clemens
Kurt in S.A.

Re: BMW engine in Dnepr?

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I wonder if he reversed the tires on the rims so the rotation arrows are correct??

Kurt in S.A.
DanielMc

Post by DanielMc »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:I wonder if he reversed the tires on the rims so the rotation arrows are correct??

Kurt in S.A.
Probably - he looks the fastidious type.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers might not be able to tell the difference." Samuel Clemens
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

I wonder where he got the R85 engine from?

He must have used an airhead engine AND trans. 1955 and later BMWs have a 3 shaft trans and the output shaft turns the same direction as the engine. Dnepers are a copy of early BMWs and the output shaft turns opposite to the engine. When installing a BMW engine in your favorite Russian hack Jaun must use the Rusky gearbox and mate the BMW engine to it.
Garnet

mattcfish

Post by mattcfish »

Garnet wrote:I wonder where he got the R85 engine from?

He must have used an airhead engine AND trans. 1955 and later BMWs have a 3 shaft trans and the output shaft turns the same direction as the engine. Dnepers are a copy of early BMWs and the output shaft turns opposite to the engine. When installing a BMW engine in your favorite Russian hack Jaun must use the Rusky gearbox and mate the BMW engine to it.
Too bad you couldn't make the engine run the opposite direction. Are the Dnepr and Ural Trannys the same as far as this goes?
Bellingham, WA USA
1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW 2002
1971 VW Westfalia
1985 VW Vanagon
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1074183/
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

This is a BMW engine matted to a Chen Jaing trans, which is something like a Dneper/Ural.

I'm not sure what excatly has to be done mechanicly.
Garnet

Hunsta

Post by Hunsta »

Garnet wrote:This is a BMW engine matted to a Chen Jaing trans, which is something like a Dneper/Ural.

I'm not sure what excatly has to be done mechanicly.
Thats an interesting look. Any chance of some more info?
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE THAT HASNT MET ME.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Of course, part of the difference is in the final drive... on the later BMW ones, the pinion is outside the crown wheel whereas, on the earlier BMW ones which were copied in the USSR and China, it is inside. This means that, if you want to use the BMW transmission and gearbox, you can do it if you swap the final drive as well. A lot more work but it can be done.

Rob
ImageImageImage