help wiring r75/5 with /6 motor.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
chipsdad

Re: help wiring r75/5 with /6 motor.

Post by chipsdad »

ken,
you are a wealth of knowledge. I purchased the bike mostly intact, engine covers off and wires everywhere. There were additional parts in the krausers(extra lights). Wire by wire and piece by piece this beauty will be back together. I dont think that this is a bike that you ride everyday without knowing how to fix it yourself. This place is the on;y place for me to learn. So thank you for the help.
p.s. how do I had a photo of my bike here?
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Sorry Ken, got to contradict you there. the blue wire isn't to battery positive. In fact there are at least 3 blue wires and they connect the negative side of the charge lamp, D+ at the regulator, the starter relay and the diode board. I'm currently sitting in a hospital bed so don't have access to my diagrams at the mo but, if memory serves, they all come together at the starter relay socket. The blue wire carries the unregulated field current for the alternator. I don't know of any aftermarket accessory that uses power from the blue line.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Rob Frankham wrote:Sorry Ken, got to contradict you there. the blue wire isn't to battery positive. In fact there are at least 3 blue wires and they connect the negative side of the charge lamp, D+ at the regulator, the starter relay and the diode board. I'm currently sitting in a hospital bed so don't have access to my diagrams at the mo but, if memory serves, they all come together at the starter relay socket. The blue wire carries the unregulated field current for the alternator. I don't know of any aftermarket accessory that uses power from the blue line.

You're right Rob. I misread the wiring diagram. Of course the red and blue wires won't be connected. I don't know what I was thinking.

The important thing remains that there won't be a black wire and a blue wire connected to the same point on the diode board, at least from the factory. There may be multiple blue wires though. And the three functions you mentioned are (according to my wiring diagram :) ) interconnected.

The important thing for chipsdad is that the black wire doesn't belong there and he can safely disconnect it. And when he want's to hook up the extra lighting, his better option for power would probably be a fused connection to the battery's positive terminal.

Sitting in a hospital bed? Sorry to hear that Rob. I hope it all goes well for you. At least you're connected to the outside world.

Ken
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Sitting in a hospital bed? Sorry to hear that Rob. I hope it all goes well for you. At least you're connected to the outside world.

Ken
Thanks for the concern. Not a big problem, just a hernia repair. In fact I'm sitting waiting to go home as I write. Off the road for a week or so but I can live with that I guess... could be much worse.

Thanks again

Rob
ImageImageImage