/5 LWB Police Solo seat

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
x1Buellist

/5 LWB Police Solo seat

Post by x1Buellist »

Anybody know if the solo police seat was ever made for a LWB /5? The only ones I see for sale are the /7 solo seat. Do you think that would fit correctly? TIA, Scot
73' R75/5 LWB
esman100

Re: /5 LWB Police Solo seat

Post by esman100 »

Have you tried Motobins?
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

yeah, they have the same /7 solo seat that I have found around the net. I just don't know if that seat will fit on a /5 LWB with toaster tank. I can email them I suppose, I thought someone must have already figured this out.
73' R75/5 LWB
the quinner

Post by the quinner »

x1Buellist wrote:yeah, they have the same /7 solo seat that I have found around the net. I just don't know if that seat will fit on a /5 LWB with toaster tank. I can email them I suppose, I thought someone must have already figured this out.
Two problems you might have with the /7 seat. First, it will probably leave a gap between the tank and the seat. But, more importantly, the /5 and /6 seat hinge pins (on the subframe) face each other...requiring at least one removable hinge. Some of the "/7 seats" have riveted hinges that won't work with the early subframe.
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

the quinner wrote: Two problems you might have with the /7 seat. First, it will probably leave a gap between the tank and the seat. But, more importantly, the /5 and /6 seat hinge pins (on the subframe) face each other...requiring at least one removable hinge. Some of the "/7 seats" have riveted hinges that won't work with the early subframe.
Thanks, that was exactly the info I was looking for. Time to start looking at plan B which is the cafe seat style.
73' R75/5 LWB
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

rivets can be drilled out & replaced with pop rivets
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

x1Buellist wrote:Anybody know if the solo police seat was ever made for a LWB /5? The only ones I see for sale are the /7 solo seat. Do you think that would fit correctly? TIA, Scot
As has been mentioned, the /7 won't fit, you need a /6. Note: the solo seat uses the front top subframe bolt hole as the mount for the front hinge, a special kind of bolt. When mounted, the special bolt will interfere with the chrome battery cover on that side. Just so you know... Stephanie Meiers shop sells much cheaper reproductions. I'll see if I can find the link... http://www.meyer-bikes.com/ersatz_detail.php?id=1928 http://www.meyer-bikes.com/ersatz_detail.php?id=1929 Hmmm, you know... looking at this /5 seat and the /6 solo seat bottom view, it looks like the same, later style, pan. It should accommodate both short and long toolboxes. I'm guessing the only difference in the SWB vs LWB is for the full length seat.
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

WoW, I have spent the last several days scouring the different BMW sites looking for crumbs of information about this seat. Thanks a million :D
73' R75/5 LWB
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

Cool, I couldnt figure out how to order off their site but I emailed them. :)
73' R75/5 LWB
Unclviny

Post by Unclviny »

I had better luck dealing with S. Meyer through ebay.

Vince
http://www.vinceandersononline.com
1973-1/2 BMW R75/5 (LWB)
1971 Norton Commando
1952 Triumph TRW
1936 BMW R2