Cheap Bosch headlight

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ontic

Cheap Bosch headlight

Post by ontic »

Hi guys,
Just a heads up-
here is a US ebay link to very very cheap (to our local costs) Bosch headlight. A perfect fit for the R90 and other headlight buckets. Only difference to the old ones I already have (one withe a broken lense, hence the purchase) is the sticker on the back of the reflector (made in Czech republic now instead of Germany like the old ones). Comes with the chrome ring and all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-5-MOTORCYCLE- ... 2994wt_834

I bought one a little while ago on a gamble and it has just arrived from the US with a few other things that someone was re-posting to me.
Unfortunately for me, the image in the listing is wrong- the image is of a light for left side driving with the dip on the right.
Concerned about this, I had actually emailed the seller before I bought it to confirm it was for left side driving and it was confirmed to me. So much for that.

The one I got and the only ones the seller has in stock are not the same as the image on the listing- they have the dip on the other side and so are good for right side driving. So for all you guys who drive on the wrong, I mean right, side of the road, this is a buy for you.

For me, he has offered me to return it for a refund, but of course postage back to the US would cost me more than what I would get as a refund.
Oh well.

So, if you need one of these, or just want a spare, grab em up while they are cheap.
Even just the 8 spring clips on the back of this light would cost more to buy locally (http://www.munichmotorcycles.com.au/ind ... 6_245_1251) than this whole light costs- let alone starting to price that Chrome ring (Eh Airbear :mrgreen: )

And if anyone buys one, tell the seller Ontic from Oz sent you. :D (seriously)
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Duane Ausherman

Re: Cheap Bosch headlight

Post by Duane Ausherman »

One more nice tip passed along to the needy. For that price I would suggest buying one for the parts stock, because you will probably need it someday.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
mattcfish

Post by mattcfish »

I learned something new. There are left hand and right hand drive headlights.
Same trim ring as stock? How does the chrome look?
Bellingham, WA USA
1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW 2002
1971 VW Westfalia
1985 VW Vanagon
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1074183/
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Good one, Hans. That price is astonishing, particularly considering what our local Oz mail order mob charges -
Reflector = $325
Chrome Ring = $350
Lens = $90
Clips = $5 ea
Rubber rim tape = $17

For Oz blokes it would be worthwhile to get one of those from the states and buy a new lens at $90, or fit a $15 sealed beam unit.

Otherwise we could learn to ride on the right (wrong) side of the road. See disclaimer.

Fortunately, I'm delighted with my chinese copy of a russian copy of a german headlight, especially since I squirted some matte black paint over the shitty not very nice chrome.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
ontic

Post by ontic »

Hi guys,
yeah no probs. At that price it is virtually giving it away.
Every now and again (seems like an automated thing maybe) it goes on sale and a further 20% gets taken off. That is the price I got it at. It was at that price a couple of days ago too.
Obviously I've known about this for a while, but I have only just got an email back from the seller confirming that the light I got- right side drive- is the only one he has in stock- so now I can actually tell people what they will get.

In every respect (aside from the sticker on the back of the reflector- with the made in Czech) this is an exact 'bmw' light. The chrome ring is excellent, exactly the same, with the exact same fastening clip thing on the bottom (OK, one more difference- has a phillips head screw instead of flat). The lense is a 'Motorcycle' German made Bosch.
Yada yada.
It comes with the small pilot light socket inserted, but does NOT come with the H4 light socket.

As with Charlies price list- in Oz we get asked to pay the lights comparative weight in gold.

I'll try to take a photo of it later tonight if anyone is interested. Gotta get the real camera out as my camera phone has finally taken its last photo!

Grab em up while they are there.
I wonder about postage to Australia- you could probably fit a few in a flat rate postage box...

Cheers,
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
KauaiSlash5

Post by KauaiSlash5 »

Would this be the correct fit a for a /5 headlight bucket? Mine has always had a minor lense blemish, and at that price it would be worth replacing. Thanks.
ontic

Post by ontic »

Just a quick add-on,
checked my email and the owner of that ebay store has given a full apology for the stuff-around and offered me a refund without return!
Nice guy.
Share the love and buy a light- say thanks from Ontic!
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

THANKS Hans. :D

Postage for one to Oz is US$55, for two to Oz is US$70, for 4 it's US$112. Anyone want to share? He's considering my offer of 10% off (he gives that option). That'd make it 35 + total post/4 + local post (maybe $10?)

I'd be happy to post a lens back to the US for p & p costs if anyone wants it.

edit: for an Oz buy..so far.
one for me
one for Roy
Last edited by SteveD on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I just bought a headlight from the fatherland.
I didnt even think about what side low beam shines.
When I sell it I will advertise it as ideal for bad fork alignment. :P

They drive on the wrong side in Germany don't they ?
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

ME 109 wrote: They drive on the wrong side in Germany don't they ?
Rechts.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.