Hyosung

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Hyosung

Post by Zombie Master »

Had a long time, no see, friend call last night. He had visited a motorcycle dealer that sold Hyosung motorcycles, and the dealer had a new 2006 GTR 650 with a two year warranty for $3400. A bike like this:
images.jpg
I have checked these bikes out, and though they specify valve clearance checks more often than I would like, the engineering looks to be solid. They do produce quit bit of stuff for Suzuki, and the engine is very much like the highly acclaimed SV650 with more power!

After attending the BMW rally in Oregon and witnessing the installation of $2000. exhausts and suspension upgrades, a $3400. sport bike seems like a very good deal.

After determining that he was a casual rider, maybe 3000 miles a year, and that he is fairly adept with tools, likes to tinker, keeps his machines forever, and also knowing that this bike is carburated; I recommended the purchase.

Would you?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
SteveD

Re: Hyosung

Post by SteveD »

I know of a bloke at work that's had one for 3-4 years at least, and he loves it.

If parts and service backup is good enough then the deal is good!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Ross

Post by Ross »

The first one had lots of problems. Swingarms rusting out from the inside.

I did not know they made parts for Suzuki.

I have heard some with nice exhausts on them that make them sound as a v-twin should.
Me wittle bit of the web........http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
30yearoldjunk

Post by 30yearoldjunk »

A boutique motorcycle shop here is a dealer for Hyosung. The proprietor likes them and has had very little trouble with them.
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

I saw them at the IMS a few years ago and they looked great...take that plus the reliability that you guys are mentioning, and it's a real puzzle that they haven't taken over the US market.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

It's very much like Kia's history. They arrived with a product that has fairly poor fit and finish, mediocre reliability, and engineering generally well over a decade behind the big boys - but very very cheap. After a few years, they had a product that was a few years behind, with pretty good reliability and finish, and a lot more of their own engineering - still very reasonable, but not undercutting the Japanese by such a ridiculous amount as when they first got here. Now, they have a very competitive product, that manages to stay just enough cheaper than the Japanese to steal away price conscious shoppers, plus models that attract buyers in their own right - not just by offering the same thing for less money. I see Hyosung at the middle stage of that right now. I'm sure 5-10 years from now they will be offering a product that really feels equal to the Japanese in every way, and still undercuts their prices.
MS - out