Keeping your hands warm in cold riding weather.

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
SteveD

Keeping your hands warm in cold riding weather.

Post by SteveD »

Having read Charile and Hans report, and talking to Bob at Talbingo, the issue of warm fingers and hands has arisen.

My thoughts...

It would've been interesting to have skin temperature sensors inside Charlie and Hans' respective gloves to measure the temperature differences between you both.

My strategies for warm fingers...other than an RS fairing.

#1 Keeping dry. Waterproofing somehow. Good usual gloves are the cornerstone here. Gortex works, but crash protection also needs serious consideration. Once wet, the cold escalates.Those andystrapz things look the go. I have a pair of lined overgloves in the mitten design, both warm and waterproof that would work well to keep warm and dry, but as they're mittens the downside is a relative loss of feel at the controls. I couldn't give them away at Charlies 60th. I think they'd work a treat doing a Hume/Newell Hwy run...not too much clutch and brake actuation needed there. Yours if you want them. I don't need them, and have only ever used them once or twice.
On a cold and wet run, I'll take spare gloves.

#2 Keeping the wind off would be the next strategy, probably just as important as #1. Charlies "airbear" hands would've helped I guess. I see a local market there Charlie. We need to get the Gruen Transfer to knock up an advert for April/May 2011 in readiness for winter. You'll make enough to buy a spare bike! They'd go crazy at Advrider...mail order..that's the go.

#3 Inner glove insulation. I use silk gloves inside my gortex gloves and find it works well. I do have the RS fairing doing a sterling job to cover #2.

#4 Electric grips. Grant had these and despite the RS fairing he was still cold in the fingers. He tried my silk gloves as extra insulation and they helped. My bike doesn't have these.

#5 Jackets with inbuilt waterproof lining like the Voyage2 and Tourance2 jackets need the gloves inside the sleeve to allow the collected moisture that accumulates b/w the outer 2 layers to run outside the gloves. If the gloves are around the jacket, in the usual manner, the fingers fill with water. Not good on a cold mountain pass...damhik.

#6 Core temp. Keep the breeze out with good jackets, warm enough lining(s), thermals, scarves, electric vests. Keep the core temp up. At least the blood getting to the hands will be warm. A snug fit is warmer than a loose fit, as air circulation is minimised. Consider scalp insulation via whatever fits.

I'm guessing you blokes in the antipodes will have better experience at keeping warm, as your riding seasons are more defined than ours. We have one season, all year, we just choose where to ride.

I think we'd be interested in your strategies. Staying inside isn't an option for this discussion ;) . I know it might be in reality up there....
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Zombie Master

Re: Keeping your hands warm in cold riding weather.

Post by Zombie Master »

My system these days is best quality heated grips with leather breathable waterproof glove. If it gets really cold I have electrically heated leather gloves that absolutely keep my hands warm. But I find being wired a bother. On my dual sport I have heated grips and wind deflection by way of bark busters with attached protection.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ontic

Post by ontic »

Good thread topic Steve,
after reading it I've just spent the last half an hour searching on Advrider (cos its such a good gear-whore site) for reviews and other options. A few more threads to go through yet but the main contenders for the overglove thing, which appeals to me, is the NZ made 'Rain-off' overglove that Andystrapz sell
http://www.rain-off.com/prdt_dsptn.htm
http://www.andystrapz.com/products-deta ... 23&Level=1

and the Aerostich triple digit rain covers
http://www.aerostich.com/off-and-riding ... overs.html

I am liking the look and price of the rain-off's and the reviews seem good.

the advantage of buying direct from Rain-off in NZ seems to be, a little cheaper, and you get the option between the one or two finger options (Andystrapz shows the image of the one finger and doesn't offer options)

one finger

two finger

Only problem is, I'm not sure what one I would want. Probably the two finger one I think, as one finger on either of my levers probably wouldn't be of much use. I'll have to play around trying imagine them...
Aerostich's ones are a two finger type.

and then some general discussion on your points,

Yep, keep em dry. My bmw goretex gloves seemed to keep my hands dry (aside from a bit of dampness from perspiration) but the shell was soaked and windchill was serious.
I think Charlies 'Airbear' hands would have been a huge factor of reducing the windchill to his hands, however, his gloves while looking like good 'cool weather' things were probably not as inherently warm as mine... we'll have to ask him how he fared. My feeling is that even with the lighter gloves he was doing better than me.

I am keen to try the inner silk glove thing.

Water dripping into the gloves was happening with me, however if I was careful I could keep this mostly limited to just the cuff of the glove. For a couple of weeks I have been playing with the idea in my head of something I can only describe as a glove-gaitor to solve this problem.. A bit hard to describe in words and it is actually something I might try doing a few mock-ups of anyway so I should probably keep my lips sealed (so I can make my millions by commercializing them :roll: :mrgreen: )

Given all the merino wool underlayers and goretex and eVent liners I was wearing, the rest of my body was warm enough, and I think my core temp was fine.
The overgloves appeal to me in order to 1. keep the undergloves dry thus avoiding evaporative cooling, and 2. completely block the wind to the undergloves to avoid windchill and the evaporative cooling already avoided...

I am liking those Rain-offs...
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
dougie

Post by dougie »

Zombie Master wrote: best quality heated grips .
What are they?
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
dougie

Post by dougie »

SteveD wrote:I'm guessing you blokes in the antipodes will have better experience at keeping warm, as your riding seasons are more defined than ours. We have one season, all year, we just choose where to ride.
I think we'd be interested in your strategies. Staying inside isn't an option for this discussion ;) . I know it might be in reality up there....
For gloves I have Belstaff two-finger insulated.
Aftermarket (Dualstar) heated grips.
"S" fairing with GS handguards. (Not as good as the "RS" fairing)

When it's COLD, the trips are short.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
pkboxer

Post by pkboxer »

Seconding Dougie on the Dualstar kit.

Cheap ($35), easy install, don't really notice it once installed, always there, ready for a flip of the switch.

I don't ride in super cold weather, but It's so nice when I need it and the warmth spreads up the arms too.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/h ... p_kit1.htm

Installed for just over a year and no complaints. I did get the optional cover for the switch....
'74 - R90/6
ontic

Post by ontic »

Wow, I had no idea how cheap heated grips could be.
For the Aussies, here are a couple of local options
two settings
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7G ... ip-heaters

probably too cheap, with one setting (that could be DIY upgraded but might end up costing more than the one above)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Motorcycle-Heate ... 2c56c8c969
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
pkboxer

Post by pkboxer »

Torpedo7 looks like the same concept, if not same product, as the dual star.
'74 - R90/6
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Hippo Hands keep the wind off you hands and stop the water from coming around hand protectors and dripping on gloves.

In realy cold wether like that the adition of heated grips allows the use of summer cloves underneath.
http://www.hippohands.com/bmw.htm
Garnet

SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.