Ebay

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
rinkydink

Ebay

Post by rinkydink »

I'm looking on Ebay at airhead parts and I am shocked to say the least. People find parts off of bikes that look like they have sat out in the weather for the last 30 years. They don't even clean them and still are asking the moon for them. I am not in the market for anything, just perusing, but it has gotten ridiculous.
Deleted User 62

Re: Ebay

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Yep, and those same crusty parts get relisted forever. On the other hand, there are some real deals to be had, you just have to be patient. Like the old saying goes, "You have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run!"
Last edited by Deleted User 62 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Depends which country eBay one looks at.
There is quality out there.
Lord of the Bings
dougie

Post by dougie »

Tim Shepherd wrote:Yep, and those same crusty parts get relisted forever. On the other hand, there are some real deals to be had, you just have to be patient. Like the old saying goes, "You have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run!"
+1
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

dougie wrote:
Tim Shepherd wrote: and know when to run!"
+1
So the hip's all good then Doug! :P
Lord of the Bings
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I recently listed a few pieces of junk, but described them as such. I also sold a few great items and they went very cheap. Ebay isn't my retirement plan, so I just mentally accept that it averages out. Mostly I wish to get rid of stuff. Linda and I have too much stuff.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
dougie

Post by dougie »

ME 109 wrote:So the hip's all good then Doug! :P
"Good" is relative.
Better than "bad", but not as good as before.
More like "reasonable" or 90%. I'll take it and be happy :) .
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
JACK ETHRIDGE

Post by JACK ETHRIDGE »

I bought a Bing Carb for an 83 R100 RT. The Carb had water in the Float Bowel for so long that the Idle pick up was not usable, the main neddle had a rust pit and the treads stripped out when i removed the main jet. The seller had to know that this carb was a pc of crap. I WILL NEVER BUY, OR SELL, ON E BAY.

Jack Ethridge
Ocala Fl
Motorhead

Post by Motorhead »

Tim Shepherd wrote:Yep, and those same crusty parts get relisted forever.

Like the old saying goes, "You have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run!"

DITTO THAT!
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

JACK ETHRIDGE wrote:I bought a Bing Carb for an 83 R100 RT. The Carb had water in the Float Bowel for so long that the Idle pick up was not usable, the main neddle had a rust pit and the treads stripped out when i removed the main jet. The seller had to know that this carb was a pc of crap. I WILL NEVER BUY, OR SELL, ON E BAY.

Jack Ethridge
Ocala Fl
Bad luck there Jack. I hope you had a crack at the seller and asked for a refund, and left him negative feedback.
Feedback is very important to a buyer who is deciding whether the seller is good or worth a risk.
Personally, one bad experience might make me more suspicious and careful, but by ignoring ebay altogether you really do miss out on some good stuff. It's about patience and confidence in a seller. Did you know you can ask questions of the seller via ebay, which can help in deciding what to do?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.