winter project

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
painter.724

winter project

Post by painter.724 »

Greetings I have a 60/6 with a fiberglass Heinrich fairing on the front. This winter I would like to replace the old springs and do whatever is neccesary to rebuilt the front end. My question is ,are there better springs than progressive , and with the added weight what should I look for. I was riding down the road and had to put on both brakes very hard. The front end went into a wobble and I was told that it was probably from my worn front springs. I know there are write ups on this subject and I will do a little digging but any suggestions are more than welcome Thanks Dave
Major Softie

Re: winter project

Post by Major Softie »

An improperly aligned fork would also be a prime candidate. Since you will be having to align the forks when putting this all back together, I suggest you check out Duane Ausherman's page on fork alignment.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/forktool/index.htm

There may be other good ones as well that someone else may point out.

Duane: the link to where you have put Randy's alignment article is not currently working correctly on your site.
MS - out
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Major Softie wrote:Duane: the link to where you have put Randy's alignment article is not currently working correctly on your site.
Hmmm...seemed to work fine for me...

Kurt in S.A.
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:
Major Softie wrote:Duane: the link to where you have put Randy's alignment article is not currently working correctly on your site.

Kurt in S.A.
Initially it seems OK but when you click the Next button it goes to a page with Table of Contents at the top, and nothing else. Then if you look at the page source a lot of the code seems to be remarked out.

Try this link:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/fork/chapter1.html
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:

Kurt in S.A.
Here's what happens to me: on the fork tools page, the link to Randy's article on alignment takes me to the intro page. Clicking on the arrow for the next page leads to a page that says nothing but "Table of Contents" but shows nothing else. "Table of Contents" looks like it is supposed to be a link but does not function as one.

I posted this as a new topic to make sure Duane sees it. Let me (and Duane) know if the same thing isn't happening to you.
MS - out
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Interesting...I did just as you said and get to the Table of Contents. I can click on the forward arrow at the bottom and it goes to the next page. Or I can click on anything on the page and go directly to that page.

Dunno...works for me!

Kurt in S.A.
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Looks like it works in IE but not in Firefox.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Steve in Golden wrote:Looks like it works in IE but not in Firefox.
Weirder still, it didn't work the first time, but now it does. I'm using Firefox.
painter.724

Post by painter.724 »

Excellent Thanks Also I clicked on the link that Major Softie posted and went right to the site
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Sonic Springs and Race Tech both list springs for the BMW.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R