My K1100 update

Wanna talk BMW K bikes? Here's your home.
grant81rs

My K1100 update

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Fellas,

Just a quick update on the K1100,

I now have new "metal gear" brake pads front and back fitted, also I flushed out the brake fluid and the ABS system, when I dropped the front callipers and dismantled them for cleaning and regreasing of the pistons I had a better look and thought WTF, on one of the dirty callipers the pads had been put on back to front so it had metal on metal on the right side disk, hmmm this is not looking good, but surprisingly the disk was still is good condition as when the local bike mechanic dropped off my new pads I had him give me his verdict, yep all good ya lucky bastard!!.

Since I have had the bike home and prior to noticing the pad situation I have only ridden it about 30kms max with only a few quick stops to try the brakes out and I thought they were fantastic compare to my old 81 r100rs as it pulled up great even without the ABS working, so I hate to think what they are going to be like now, I only hope that the bike shop I brought it off had been playing around with the brakes and slapped it back together quickly when I purchased it as I was told it was in a few bits due to the speedo issue, anyway the disk is not damaged which is a bonus.

New Hella power sockets have been fitted and rewired in so now they are working great and I have a battery trickle charger working, I also flushed out the radiator and coolant system and few times on the weekend just past, removed the overflow container, cleaned the inside of it like new, added new "nulans" coolant 50/50 with distilled water, ran it up to temp, the fan all works as it is supposed to and all is well in the department.
The forks were given a freshen up with new oils and all the front end cleaned, re greased, tightened and torqued to specs

I have been chatting to "Chris Harris" from www.AffordableBeemerServices.com he is the bloke on youtube that does the video services on the beemers and I can say that he is a great bloke, very friendly and always replies with a detailed email when I asked him a question about the bike as I plan on doing the spline lube soon over winter.

Anyway I am getting there slowly and I could really go and get it RWC and registered tomorrow, but while I am at it I will continue to replace and clean as much as I can over winter and have it ready for spring..

But it is great to have a bike parked in the shed again and I am having a blast just fixing this and that, I find it very relaxing and great for the mind

Talk to you soon
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
ME 109

Re: My K1100 update

Post by ME 109 »

Bloody great mate!

Look forward to seeing you at an upcoming get together.

I might go up to the shed and see if my pads are in backwards.
Lord of the Bings
grant81rs

Re: My K1100 update

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Jeff,

is coming along nicely mate, today its a final drive and tranny flush out with the correct oil the I want to run.

I have been using a brand called "Morris lubricants" http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/default.asp in the chevy, good pommy stuff that has really quieten the old banger down and also with a local agent in town stocking a few of their lines I got some 90w gear oil the other day to go in bike..
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa