Have you ever seen worse?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
opus451

Have you ever seen worse?

Post by opus451 »

Hello Everyone!

So picked up a 1982 R65LS that I was hoping was a deal, until of course I looked deeper. Have any of you ever seen carbs this bad, and how does this happen? And what is the reality I am looking at here? What's a fix for severely oxidized float bowls?

It's like someone poured baking soda in their enemy's tank.

Bike sat for 4 years in Brooklyn weather neglected.

Eric "Opus" Carlsen
A Brooklyn native
1976 R60/6
dougie

Re: Have you ever seen worse?

Post by dougie »

I would brush off as much as you can with an old toothbrush first. Then submerge it in PineSol for 24 hours. Then see what you are dealing with. With luck the body can be cleaned up, all small passages cleaned out, followed by a rebuild with new jets, needle and O-rings. Floats as well if they are leaking. I have gone the PineSol route with carbs and it worked very well.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

I'd too drop the belly pan to see how it looks in there. Hopefully the water stayed out of the engine. Does the tranny shift? Same thing there too. Water can sure do damage to this stuff if left unattended. Course you'll be changing all the fluids. Probably more to go over than this.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Yep, that's water that did that. Whether from alcohol laden fuel that absorbed moisture, or just plain water in the tank, it's water.
MS - out
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

That's nasty! Do you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner? I use Simple Green in mine and it's amazing how much stuff will come off. If you can't get the passages clear, I'd start looking for a set of good used carbs on eBay or the IBMWR.org Marketplace. How do the intakes on the heads look? Does the motor turn easily by hand using the alternator bolt with the spark plugs out?
opus451

Post by opus451 »

There was a bit of water in the tranny when I dropped the fluids. None in engine oil. The gas tank has rust so will be dealing with that next. And will be taking all your advice, even considering replacing if nothing else works, thanks everyone! Will try and update as I go.
Eric "Opus" Carlsen
A Brooklyn native
1976 R60/6
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Those carbs will have issues, but will be fine when you're finished with them. Become a carb master...read here...
http://home.insightbb.com/~cdpumphr/the ... nicles.htm
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

opus451 wrote:There was a bit of water in the tranny when I dropped the fluids. . .
If you have water in the transmission you have a problem you need to deal with. Water in the transmission is always almost due to rain water or car wash water wicking down the speedometer cable, past the rubber bootie where the cable goes into the transmission, and then into the oil. Strange but true.

The fix is a new rubber bootie on the cable. I like to seal the bootie to the cable jacket with silicone rubber followed by a small cable zip tie around the neck of the bootie. Some people fill in the bootie with grease gun or bearing grease packed into it.

Since you didn't talk about dropping chocolate milk looking oil out of the transmission you are likely OK there. When you dropped the oil did you feel it for metal 'grit. If the fuzz feels smooth between your fingers you are likely OK. But if the fuzz feels gritty, well that's not a good sign.

Ken

Post by khittner1 »

opus451 wrote:Hello Everyone!

So picked up a 1982 R65LS that I was hoping was a deal, until of course I looked deeper. Have any of you ever seen carbs this bad, and how does this happen? And what is the reality I am looking at here? What's a fix for severely oxidized float bowls?

Um, 4 years ago in Brooklyn weather history was Hurricane Sandy, Opus. If that thing has been submerged in fresh or salt/brackish water, it may just deserve a decent burial.
Rob

Post by Rob »

khittner1 wrote:
opus451 wrote:Hello Everyone!

Um, 4 years ago in Brooklyn weather history was Hurricane Sandy, Opus. If that thing has been submerged in fresh or salt/brackish water, it may just deserve a decent burial.
:shock: :o :cry:
Rob V