1975 R75/6 odometter

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
mefrank11

1975 R75/6 odometter

Post by mefrank11 »

I had the usual issue with the numbers turning out of control. The trip meter had worked fine, Now neither one work at all. the speedometer still does it,s thing. I know there the site that explains how to secure the piece to the shaft. Before I take it apart, is there any helpfull advice anyone would like to give me Thank in advance Frank in Florida
ontic

Re: 1975 R75/6 odometter

Post by ontic »

I've got no real advice on that specific speedo.
I am currently fixing one from my 80G/S. It was a rusted mess.
If the odo or trip meter isn't working then is likely that something is gunked or rusted till it has siezed. If something has siezed then that should mean that somewhere along the various metal and plastic gearing something is slipping (hopefully) or stripping (like mine).
Not knowing the internals of that speedo, my only advice is to pull it apart and do it slowly and carefully- somewhere well lit and somewhere where when you drop the little parts and screws they don't get lost. It is not rocket surgery, but it is fiddly. Coffee table in the living room is my choice (not that my partner thinks it is a good choice!). Something like an egg carton to place the removed screws and pieces in order so you can better easily get it back together would probably be a good idea. Pretty basic advice really.

I got given a R65 speedo from a member here to try to harvest some parts from. Dismantling and 're-mantling' both of these a few times before I started breaking down and swapping and repairing individual components was a good thing to do.

Here is my speedo

one of my many siezed and stripped bits

It is coming back together now. I have used electrolysis to free up rusted and seized metal bits (bits that were unique to my 80G/S speedo and couldn't be swapped- such as the piece above), and have cobbled the thing back together with a mix of parts into a reasonably good working form. Today I will be trying to repair the little magnetic disc thing that runs the speedo- the ring has come loose from the top of it and I am going to try to glue it back on as the R65 one which is in great condition has an entirely different shaft.

Good luck.
I am actually enjoying it.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
mefrank11

Post by mefrank11 »

Thanks for the very interesting information. can you explain the process of freeing the rusted parts . i have a parts speedometer that i might like to try it on if its something I could do. I,m thinking the problem with the one on my bike is hopefully a slipping issue . Thanks again for the response. Frank in florida
I neglected to say that the unit on my bike is not rusted at all so I, leaning toward the slipping gear somwhere. What would be best to clean the point on contact to be sure the super glue bonds well? thanks again Frank
ontic

Post by ontic »

Gday Frank,
I used the electrolysis process for de-rusting. It is a process I have played around a lot with and have found it good for freeing up rusted seized parts.
It involves a battery charger, a bag of washing soda, a big plastic tub, and a sacrificial piece of steel...
here is a thread in which we had a bit of discussion about the process and I posted a few photos,
http://boxerworks.com/phorum5/read.php? ... #msg-66624

Aside from that, rust doesn't sound like your problem. Hard to know what the problem is until you open it up. I haven't opened my /6 speedo yet (it works fine) so I don't know if it is significantly different to this 80G/S and the R65 speedo I have been playing with.

here is another photo of the 80G/S speedo when I opened it.

if you look at the top run of numbers (the odometer) you can see a grey gear on the far right- you can also see the axle with a gear on the end that has slid out on the left. This is one of many problems that was going on in mine- however, when that axle on the left is slid in to its proper position, hard up to the right onto that worm gear, that gear on the far right only turns with the axle due to a tight pressure fit. It is possible (on both the speedo's I have opened up) for the axle to turn but for that grey gear on the far right to slip- thus meaning that both the odometer and the trip meter wouldn't work, but the speedo might continue to work.
EDIT- I believe this is probably a failsafe mechanism so that if things go bad and seize up somewhere that the gear slips before the other plastic parts start stripping and chewing themselves up.

Like I said, it is hard to know what is going on until you open it up- for the odometer to start turning over like that, it sounds like the number wheels and their little white cogs have got a problem, and then maybe that could have locked up and allowed enough pressure to start slipping the grey gear on the right (which also turns the trip meter). I think something would have had to go wrong in order for that gear to slip.
If it is just slipping with no other problems, then I imagine a good clean with a solvent (probably not something like paint thinners or acetone- as it would likely damage the plastic number wheels and or paint) and then a dab of loctite or superglue or epoxy or something would hold it tight.
If there is something else going wrong that has caused the gear to start slipping- then you would want to solve that problem first rather than just glue the gear onto the shaft.

Anyway, a long ramble. Hope it is of some help. Let us know how you get on.
Hans.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Hey Frank...this is the repair article.

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/160/98/
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
mefrank11

Post by mefrank11 »

Well here I am again I have the speedo apart down to the point of removing the indicator needle. It seems to be strongly attached. I,m afraid of braking it. Is is normal for the needle to be very difficult to remove. I,m tempted to pry it but dont want to do damage to the face or needle. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I have another question sense the trip meter stopped working where would the problem be? I maybe able to figure it out but I would really like to know for sure Thanks again Frank in Florida Fat fingers got it off ! Is it possible to align the numbers /
mine do not make a straight line/
mefrank11

Post by mefrank11 »

I find that there is an intermitent obstruction that I have not found the cause for yet . When i get home from work tonight I,ll wash the unit out well and dry hopefully that will fix the catch. I,m not sure what should be used to clean the mechinism . Frank
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Frank....the article by Randy (dwerbil) I've linked to in the reply above suggests this method to clean...
With the odometer removed, you should do a thorough cleaning:
* Spray the odometer through out with WD-40 to help remove oil/particulates that could jam gears.
* Rinse under the faucet with warm water for a minute.
* Pour isopropyl alcohol over odometer to degrease and to displace water.
* After drying, use a bit of silicone spray on odometer before reinstalling
Personally, I wouldn't use wd40.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ontic

Post by ontic »

Yep,
the needle just pops or pry's off.
Whatever your problem is, I wouldn't worry about the number alignment until you solve the problem- and see how the numbers align after that. I have found that when everything is cleaned up and spinning freely then it aligns pretty well.

As far as the trip meter stopping working- and trying to figure out where the problem would be because of that fact:
as far as I understand it- (and please forgive my 'terminology' which is descriptive at best)

above the engine, the unit gets powered from the speedo cable.
The speedo cable connects into a shaft on the bottom of the speedo (directly via the square end of the cable on the 80G/S- and apparently via another gear on the R65). This shaft directly drives the male section of the magnetic 'doo-hicky' which sits inside the female section of the magnetic 'doo-hicky,' which then affects the speedo needle.
Aside from this, this shaft also has a gear on it, which runs a plastic worm gear that comes out the side of the unit and then back up the side via another metal worm gear thing, and then transfers power to the odometer and trip meter via the odometer axle and through that grey gear on the end of the axle.

So, power gets transferred through the odometer axle and onto the grey gear. The grey gear (the one that can slip) has two sets of cogs on it- on the left there is one tooth that (via the first white small plastic gear above it) with every full revolution turns the first number wheel of the odometer over one click (ie, 1 mile or Km). Ten revolutions of the grey gear mean one full revolution of the first odometer number wheel. Each numbered wheel beyond works by the same principle.
The odometer gets powered through the grey gear.

On the right side of the grey gear are lots of teeth. These are geared into another small metal gear that transfers power down to the first non-numberered wheel on the trip meter (ie, 1 revolution of the grey gear translates to one revolution on the first non-numbered wheel on the trip meter).
The trip meter also gets powered from the grey gear.
This is where things get different on the two speedos I have apart in front of me.
If the trip meter was the first to go then this is where you need to figure out what is going on.
If it was my 80G/S speedo and the trip meter stopped working, then this could be most easily caused by the spring not working properly on the push button reset. This wouldn't be the case with the /6 speedo and is irrelevant to you.

On the R65 speedo, without stripped gears, I can't figure out how the odometer could work but the trip meter couldn't. If the odometer clogged up first and started running wild, then I could see how the trip meter could still work, and then stop working when the oddometer finally clogged up bad enough to start spinning the grey gear...

anyway, there is another long ramble. I thought it could be short but it wasn't. I hope it made some sense.
As soon as you get it all apart and in front of you it will be obvious.
Friend just dropped around for a late night visit before I finished the email, and now I gotta hit the sack,
Night.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
mefrank11

Post by mefrank11 »

I see where the driving force comes from on both odo and trip i,m thinking that there is some small foreign material in the gear mesh area . After rotating the gear for sometime having to reverse direction numerous times everything turns As has been said a good cleaning will hopefully take care of the tripset not turning. What I,d overlooked to say is that the odo had stopped working as well so the gray gear must have been slipping. i cant seem to make it slip by hand. Eating dinner then will be back to it Thanks again Frank