Lowering /5 front fork

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
slyngej

Lowering /5 front fork

Post by slyngej »

Does anyone have any experience on how to lower a /5 front fork? I'm thinking maybe lowering it 1.5-2 inches.
Bamboo812

Re: Lowering /5 front fork

Post by Bamboo812 »

Are you trying to make the forks below the triple clamp longer or lower the whole bike? In the first case you can get longer fork tubes or a top clamp that has dropped ends. In the other case, Toaster Tan and others sell top clamps that allow the fork tubes to be mounted higher.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

And, if you are talking about lowering the front end 2", that is going to lose a LOT of cornering clearance.
MS - out
slyngej

Post by slyngej »

If buying top clamps to mount the tubes higher, how do you handle the middle/center nut?
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

The top clamp will be in the stock position, only the fork tubes slide up higher and are clamped the same way the triple tree clamps them.
slothy

Post by slothy »

ya but sliding them up only well net you about 3/4" or so? before it hits the bar off the top of my head. unless you goto clip ons
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

It makes no sense to do this. You will ruin the geometry of the very neutral bike, lost cornering clearance and stability.

Just buy a bike that is already what you want.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Major Softie wrote:And, if you are talking about lowering the front end 2", that is going to lose a LOT of cornering clearance.
That may matter considerably, or not at all.
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

ME 109 wrote:
Major Softie wrote:And, if you are talking about lowering the front end 2", that is going to lose a LOT of cornering clearance.
That may matter considerably, or not at all.
What are you smoking today?

When you are making a left-hand turn on a bumpy crowned road (or right-hand turn if you drive on the wrong side of the road), there is no way in the world that dropping the front end 2" does not matter. Especially if you are dropping the rear as well.

It matters not at all at Bonneville. On a real road, it matters. Of course if you don't lower the rear as well, then you're probably gonna die at Bonneville from the wobble.
MS - out
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Major Softie wrote:
What are you smoking today?
Same as yesterday.

My tongue in cheek comment was to do with bikes that are styling exercises over functionality.
Lord of the Bings