Got Me A New Cheap Tent

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Sibbo

Re: Got Me A New Cheap Tent

Post by Sibbo »

Yep ,I reckon it's the best tent design I've ever seen for Australia ,lot's of air or close it right up .Light and compact .

"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

boxertwinjeff wrote:Sweet tent for sure Sibbo, nice and compact I bet, but yeah, a bit too rich for me!
For that kind of money , it should be free standing and still 3pds.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

It's the flexibility of ventilation I like ZM ,we have very hot summers and moderate (by your standards ) winters .It's the best I've seen by my criteria.
The Grateful Dead
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

ZM, it costs that much because it's a floating tent.
It MUST be comfortable!
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

When you pay that much for a 1-2 man tent, you are paying a whole lot of extra money for the super-light weight: very valuable for intense backpackers - totally unimportant for motorcycle camping.
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Major Softie wrote:When you pay that much for a 1-2 man tent, you are paying a whole lot of extra money for the super-light weight: very valuable for intense backpackers - totally unimportant for motorcycle camping.
Not so. In my case I dislike saddlebags. So everything must fit in a bag behind me in-line with the seat and on a luggage rack. And a tank bag. To able to camp, yet with the aerodynamic superiority of this set up, requires the smallest and lightest gear available. My tent is under 3 pounds and is the size of a loaf of bread. I don't tour with a passenger. I'll only take a passenger when in rut.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Zombie Master wrote:Not so. In my case I dislike saddlebags.
Man, you'd hate to ride my bike when it's loaded for an extended/remote trip.
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Zombie Master wrote: To able to camp, yet with the aerodynamic superiority of this set up, requires the smallest and lightest gear available.
No it doesn't. It only requires the smallest. I'm very familiar with the problem you are speaking of, from my own shopping and motorcycle camping. Besides, I once, long ago, worked in a back-packing shop here in Tahoe. Often the smallest units are also the lightest, but not always, and there are far better deals to be had when you concern yourself only with size. Saving 1/2 to 1 lb. is very valuable when back-packing, especially as it adds up amongst all the pieces. It is of little value on a 500 lb. motorcycle, and it can cost you hundreds more.
MS - out
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

My attraction to that design isn't just weight although that's a bonus as is the very small pack size .It's the versatility of the ventilation arrangements .That tent would do for both summer and winter here.Excellent design !!

The other thing that BMW owners might appreciate is that sometimes paying more results in a very well made item .This has it's advantages ,even if it's just enjoying good work .
Last edited by Sibbo on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Grateful Dead
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Major Softie wrote:
Zombie Master wrote: To able to camp, yet with the aerodynamic superiority of this set up, requires the smallest and lightest gear available.
No it doesn't. It only requires the smallest. I'm very familiar with the problem you are speaking of, from my own shopping and motorcycle camping. Besides, I once, long ago, worked in a back-packing shop here in Tahoe. Often the smallest units are also the lightest, but not always, and there are far better deals to be had when you concern yourself only with size. Saving 1/2 to 1 lb. is very valuable when back-packing, especially as it adds up amongst all the pieces. It is of little value on a 500 lb. motorcycle, and it can cost you hundreds more.
Sometimes I ride, set up camp and hike too! Less is more betta'