new swing arm

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
slyngej

new swing arm

Post by slyngej »

Hey guys
Im thinking about giving my /5 a more bobber like look. Currently it has the short swing arm. So im thinking about replacing that with a long a mounting the rear suspension directly onto the frame, like on the attached picture.
Does anyone have experience with this? Does the frame need extra reinforcement?? And can i just put on the long swingarm?

cheers
Attachments
DSC08587.jpg
DSC08587.jpg (115.8 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
Duane Ausherman

Re: new swing arm

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Without thinking this through I have this observation. The tops of those shocks are attached to a much stronger part of the frame than that wimpy rear frame section that is standard.

How about other considerations that haven't yet occurred to me? This could be interesting.

I really hope that you will filter the air intake better than those crappy rock catchers shown in the photo.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

How much rear suspension travel is left, with the rider aboard, before the rear fender hits the seat pan? I assume the battery has been relocated---you'd probably want to retain electric starting, since it looks like removal of the left air filter could be necessary to use the kick starter. But, from the red wire running out the side of the starter cover, it looks like the coils may've been relocated to there. Of course, real men bump start.
slyngej

Post by slyngej »

the picture is pure inspiration for the suspension and the fender and airfilter for the carburators is not an issue at the moment. But the guess is - reinforce the frame for the suspension?
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

I would want to have the top shock bolts supported both sides, same as the ones on Monolever and Paralever bikes. OR (flash of inspiration) add a single long stud to connect the two sides and brace the frame loops... Would be a handy place to hang stuff and mount the turn signals too...
slyngej

Post by slyngej »

does anyone know if i can just put on the long type of swing arm?
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Yes, you'll need a longer brake rod too.
Seth

Post by Seth »

changing the angle of the shock/spring changes the leverage, so spring rates and dampening needs to be different than stock. The stress on the tabs on the swing arm will be much greater and pushing back instead of almost straight down. They will probably need to be strengthened.

This is a nicer setup.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MzlHYIncL_4/hqdefault.jpg
slyngej

Post by slyngej »

Il of course change the shocks.
Ive seen the setup several times, but if the swingarm have been reinforced as well i dont know. Anyone have any knowledge of this?
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

The LWB swingarms had more bracing from the factory than the SWB does. I've seen guys extend the swingarm even further for more suspension travel, and they added more bracing, but this was for off road applications.