New Camshaft 1977 R100 swap?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
bigfella

New Camshaft 1977 R100 swap?

Post by bigfella »

Hi Guys,

The camshaft on my project bike (R100/7) has been modified (read butchered) by having the weights welded onto the end as the thread has been broken off.

Replacement cams appear to be made of rocking horse poo so I ask if I can replace with a newer camshaft even if that means using a different gear and ignition system - I was going electronic anyway.

cheers, Sam T
Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. J. Sparrow.
Duane Ausherman

Re: New Camshaft 1977 R100 swap?

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I know that this is of no interest to you and your situation, but someone else might need this info.

It was common for ham fisted idiot mechanics to break off the threaded cam tip. So much so that an after market kit to fix it easily has been available for at least 25 years. It is simple to fix with the kit.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I've fixed them by filing the end of the camshaft flat, then drilling and taping for a machine screw.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

Hi Sam
I don't know much about cams, but if you are thinking of electronic ignition, the Alpha Classic is a great improvement over the original system. No more fiddling with points and worrying about mechanical advance mechanism. The green Dyna Coil is worth considering as well. I have no affiliation with anyone who sells these items.
Cheers
Harry