My new RS rack extender patent No."helpyaself"

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
grant81rs

My new RS rack extender patent No."helpyaself"

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Fellas

It's all good when I'm going on a camping weekend on my own as I have lots of room to strap on the tent & gear, but when my son comes along which I just love taking the space is limited and we end up having crap hanging of everywhere and it is no help with the pissy little RS rack on the back so I came up with this little thing which bolts on and off quick, I did not have to drill holes in my original rack or have lugs welded onto it either.....

It is not to carry extra weight just help things sit up better and spread the load and the lip on the rear edge gives it strength or you could use 5mm plate instead of 3mm which this is

3mm ally plate measuring 600mm x 150mm and the strap underneath was 5mm thick and 350mm x 40mm I think (It was a bit of scrap)..

Anyway it is very strong and superfirm and I will add some self adhesive thin, tuff rubber to the undersides that press onto the rack to stop it marking and also for grip I think...

I have not used it yet but I cannot see why it won't work...... total cost $3.00 for the bolts :o

SCRAP IS WONDERFUL!!! :lol:
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: My new RS rack extender patent No."helpyaself"

Post by Airbear »

Wow, a coffee table! I want one ... with an ashtray.
Well done, Grant.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

And a bbq plate
An aerodynamic fuel saver
A fish filleting tray
What a great multi use design Grant!
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ..you boys!

It needs a hole to hang the billy from!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday fellas,

Ya can all go a fuck yaselves :lol:

It's for rolling out the swag on, my rised bed, the penthouse suite!!
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Jean

Post by Jean »

I like your garage, too.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

Very cool. I've made a similar shelf for the same reason. I was very concerned about the stress that contraption puts on those four screws holding the stock rack to the fiberglass seat shell. What do you think?

Ken
Not again !!!!!!
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Schnell wrote:. . . I was very concerned about the stress that contraption puts on those four screws holding the stock rack to the fiberglass seat shell. What do you think?

I too am a tad concerned, but I didn't want to rain on anybody's parade. :)

I believe that shell is made of steel, not fiberglass, which would make any stress problem more problematic. For an anecdotal opinion I have my own experience. I bought my '78S bike several years ago with not very many miles on it. It was owned by a doctor who took his wife on a long honeymoon on the bike. They somehow strapped a backpack to the passenger backrest (which mounts to the shell) with weight of the back pack supported by the shell mounted rack. The upshot is that a crack exists from the back of the shell upwards toward the seat. My take is that the stress of the backpack caused the crack. It is entirely possible, however, that even without the back pack, the back rest and carrier generated a vibration frequency which might have caused the crack, rather than the actual load.

Ken

Post by Chuey »

That is one cool deal, Grant. Have you ever seen a "Herrod Helper" for VWs? It is shaped much like your extender (extenda) and mounts under the rear window, above the engine lid and actually has been tested to increase fuel mileage a couple mpg.

Wouldn't that be a fine place, underneath, at the outer edges, to mount some running/turn/stop lights? Maybe a propeller spinning off the back of it. Ooh, I'm getting flashes.....ideas are coming in faster than I can type.....and the pot law didn't even pass! :)

Chuey.........propellers, cool!
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Chuey, I am surprised. I thought you would be more into paddles than propellers.