Beatrice runs but needs some love

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Holysmoke

Beatrice runs but needs some love

Post by Holysmoke »

Got the bike delivered to Rudgecrest,Ca last Monday. Changed the oil, got a battery and fired her up. Air filter is missing. So fired up without intake manifold setup. I know that that changes the power characteristics but was looking to see any major issues. I think I know why the air cleaner was removed, trouble starting. Seems to running mostly on right cylinder. Plugging left carb has very little impact on running engine. Considerable oil burning out of left when first started. How difficult is it to pull the heads off? When an expert does the valve job can he setup the bike for leaded fuel? Probably should do the rings while I'm into the top end

One strange thing, a small almost acorn like object shot out of the left exhaust when I reved it pretty good. Will have to look at that closer. Possible that there's obstruction In the exhaust causing loss of power?

Thank you
Holysmoke
SteveD

Re: Beatrice runs but needs some love

Post by SteveD »

Smoking rodents...
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Don't be in such a hurry to spend money. When you start it up cold, put your hands on the exhaust and see how the heat compares.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Oil burning is usually rings, and can also be from really loose valve guides, but can also be from simple things like the oil level being too high, so, as Duane says: don't be in a hurry to spend your money. I don't know why you are talking about a valve job, since you didn't mention anything that leads one to assume it needs one. The first thing to do is get it running correctly, and the biggest issue you are likely to be facing is that the carbs are probably gummed up and need to be cleaned out before you can even get them adjusted correctly.
MS - out
Holysmoke

Post by Holysmoke »

You guys are encouraging. I'll pull the carbs and get them cleaned out. I'll go ahead and order the air filter. Where's the best place to get them? I'm also musing the bottom bracket for the air filter housing. Can those be found still? Also noticed that the right choke doesn't move. Will need to look into that. Man, it's nice having everything so easy to work on, right out in the open

Which manual should I get?
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Holysmoke wrote:You guys are encouraging. I'll pull the carbs and get them cleaned out. I'll go ahead and order the air filter. Where's the best place to get them? I'm also musing the bottom bracket for the air filter housing. Can those be found still? Also noticed that the right choke doesn't move. Will need to look into that. Man, it's nice having everything so easy to work on, right out in the open

Which manual should I get?
Clymer, Haynes and BMW. :) ;)
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Holysmoke

Post by Holysmoke »

The more I think about it, the left carb wants to overflow. And the smoke is black. And the plug is very dark. The left is too rich. Where should the carb float be set on a '78 R100S?
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Set to measure 26-27mm from the lowest part of the bowl. (fr memory)
Remove the bowl, place a container under the carb. Turn the fuel on and jiggle the float up and down a few times. You may loosen some junk stuck on the seat. The float needle may also be worn??
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

By far the most important manual is the parts book. All of the manuals are incomplete, in error and confusing in some parts. You will get better info here over all. You will learn who only has a keyboard and who knows something.

Learn to use Google first. Suggest that of Snowbum and my website (w6rec.com). Bookmark those sites that look good to you for future use.

Read for dozens of hours before doing much laying on of hands. Take lots of photos as you work.

Very important, keep a log book of every thing that you find and touch. Start with what history that you know of and what you have posted here and keep going.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.