Better disk on '75 R75/6

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Abstruse1

Re: Better disk on '75 R75/6

Post by Abstruse1 »

Decisions, decisions!
Abstruse1
Dallas, USA
Blonds aren't the only airheads.
Abstruse1

Post by Abstruse1 »

Okay, how is this possible. Does this wheel have a narrower than usual hub?

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/obscur ... sort=3&o=0

I don't see how the caliper clears the spokes. What am I missing? This is just what I've been trying to accomplish.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to attach a photo directly.
Abstruse1
Dallas, USA
Blonds aren't the only airheads.
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

Looks like it might be a GS cross-laced wheel. I haven't heard of those being backward-compatible to a /6.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Abstruse1 wrote:Okay, how is this possible. Does this wheel have a narrower than usual hub?

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/obscur ... sort=3&o=0

I don't see how the caliper clears the spokes. What am I missing? This is just what I've been trying to accomplish.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to attach a photo directly.
You need to get a free account with a site like photo bucket. You easily drop photos there and copy the address, then paste on to your posts. Then we can see what you are talking about. :)
Any and all disclaimers may apply
melville

Post by melville »

khittner1 wrote:Looks like it might be a GS cross-laced wheel. I haven't heard of those being backward-compatible to a /6.
That's a whole late GS front end. That is not the Brembo with the spoke clearance problem being discussed above.

Brembos with the clearance issue are the dual discs from 1981 of the non-swinging variety.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

I'd like to upgrade the once-adequate-but-now-crappy brakes on my Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo" with the snappy stoppers from a DRZ400SM SuperMotard---any reason why I can't do this?
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

Does your water buffalo have that wonderful four leading shoe front brake?
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

George Ryals wrote:Does your water buffalo have that wonderful four leading shoe front brake?
Yeah, if you have that brake, it's the most desirable piece on the whole bike. Seems pretty ironic to replace it. If you have that brake and it's not performing well, then it needs some maintenance. It certainly has enough moving parts for the performance to deteriorate if it's not taken care of.

Edit:
After looking up the bike I see that they replaced that brake with twin discs after a couple years. Even though the drum is a desirable classic racer item, it appears that it was not considered very good when new. I wonder if the racers have some mods they're doing.
MS - out
Rob

Post by Rob »

khittner1 wrote:I'd like to upgrade the once-adequate-but-now-crappy brakes on my Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo" with the snappy stoppers from a DRZ400SM SuperMotard---any reason why I can't do this?
If you want, I can put you in touch with a friend from the CBR250R forum. He has 3 GT750s. Only one is a '72 (the only year with the drum).

But I am sure a GT forum is your best source.

This guy is trying to sell his front brake for $450! http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65126.0
Rob V
Rob

Post by Rob »

khittner1 wrote:I'd like to upgrade the once-adequate-but-now-crappy brakes on my Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo" with the snappy stoppers from a DRZ400SM SuperMotard---any reason why I can't do this?
If you want, I can put you in touch with a friend from the CBR250R forum. He has 3 GT750s. Only one is a '72 (the only year with the drum).

But I am sure a GT forum is your best source.

This guy is trying to sell his front brake for $450! http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=65126.0
Rob V