rear end feels loose - but tire worn oddly

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
jjwithers

Re: rear end feels loose - but tire worn oddly

Post by jjwithers »

What does it mean with the rear tire is cupping?

I'm due to service these wheel bearings. They have been through a lot over the years... it would give me piece of mind to service them. But i've never had any issues with them.
PAS wrote:I have read about problems with Lesters concerning the bore that the wheel bearing sits in being sloppy. I used the Roadriders one time and found the rear tire was cupping. That has never happened before or since when running other brands.
I never bought them again.
www.beemersandbits.com
'77 R100S - http://www.joshuawithers.com/r100s
'73 /5 Toaster Cafe bike http://www.joshwithers.com/slash5
'67 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler
'66 R60/2
'72 BMW 2002
Instagram - jj_withers
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

I had Lesters on one of my bikes for about 37 years, never an issue. When I looked at your wear issues the first thing that comes to mind now after eliminating looseness is belt separation. It looks like the wear of a tire not seated properly or using an extreme term, oval.
When you replace the tire, make sure the inside of the rim is scrubbed clean on every contact surface, I would go tubeless, which would run cooler, and see what happens.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
jjwithers

Post by jjwithers »

I'm thinking that me, and a bike with loaded saddle bags, and a tire that either came out of balance, or slightly too low of pressure, or varying tire pressure due to going from 11,000 feet to 4000 feet to sea level, is what caused it.
Either way... I'm out $100 for a new tire and $30 for somebody to replace it and re-balance.
www.beemersandbits.com
'77 R100S - http://www.joshuawithers.com/r100s
'73 /5 Toaster Cafe bike http://www.joshwithers.com/slash5
'67 Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler
'66 R60/2
'72 BMW 2002
Instagram - jj_withers
PAS

Post by PAS »

jjwithers wrote:What does it mean with the rear tire is cupping?

I'm due to service these wheel bearings. They have been through a lot over the years... it would give me piece of mind to service them. But i've never had any issues with them.
PAS wrote:I have read about problems with Lesters concerning the bore that the wheel bearing sits in being sloppy. I used the Roadriders one time and found the rear tire was cupping. That has never happened before or since when running other brands.
I never bought them again.
Sorry I just got back on this site. My rear tire cupped, meaning the side edges were scalloped. You could run your hand over from front to rear and feel and see the scallops or cups. If you ran your hand the opposite direction it would feel different and your hand would catch on the cupped edges. hard to explain.
BobW

Post by BobW »

I had the same problem on a Road Rider also. The tire looked good when I checked it, but when I rolled the bike, cords were showing elsewhere on the perimeter. A scary thought after a 400 mile ride in summer heat. The tire was mounted with a tube on a snowflake and was not balanced. It gave no significant vibration during its life. I was riding middle and south Georgia, so I don't know if it felt funny in a curve.

Bob
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

You mentioned your front brakes appeared to be binding. That would cause that type of irregular wear on your rear tire as it is "pushing" harder to move the bike. On your trip you may have had an issue with the binding of the front end combined with the heat and speed causing accelerated wear as well. I cannot speak about the Avon tires, as I have no experience with them. I always get Pirelli Sport Demons.
AMA Charter Life Member
Now: 1983 Yamaha XV-920MK Midnight Virago with Factory Touring Package
Then: 1987 K-75S, 1988 R-100RS,Triumph T-140D, Harley FXDB Sturgis,Triumph Speed Triple,Triumph Bonneville, Moto Guzzi Norge, Yamaha FJR-1300, Victory Vision...