Lost Flywheel??

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
chasesa

Lost Flywheel??

Post by chasesa »

Hi
Trying to set valves on RT for first time since purchase and cannot see the flat surface of the
flywheel to get the OT mark to appear after at least a full revolution.

Looking through the hole toward the front I can see the teeth of the clutch housing wheel.

I performed clutch spline lube and re-assembled the transmission to
motor case. It went together easily.

Could I have pushed the flywheel ahead?

Ideas, please & thanks. I have 3 other airheads, never had such an issue!
Stephen C
Bamboo812

Re: Lost Flywheel??

Post by Bamboo812 »

What year bike? '81 and later have a clutch carrier and those marks are on small tabs and are easy to miss. Set the piston to top dead center, and the mark should be in the window, or nearly so. Note: the "OT" mark was replaced with a "Z" at some point. Does anyone know when?
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Bamboo812 wrote:What year bike? '81 and later have a clutch carrier and those marks are on small tabs and are easy to miss. Set the piston to top dead center, and the mark should be in the window, or nearly so. Note: the "OT" mark was replaced with a "Z" at some point. Does anyone know when?
my 81 has OT and Z. Sounds odd to relocate Z to OT. There's a whole alphabet to choose from! :ugeek:

BMW could have used 'Ha'.
Ha, missed me!
Lord of the Bings
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

if your bike has a lightened (modified) flywheel, don't expect to see those marks.

I installed a light flywheel on my R90s and had to make my own marks before installation.

jimmyg
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

ME 109 wrote:
Bamboo812 wrote:What year bike? '81 and later have a clutch carrier and those marks are on small tabs and are easy to miss. Set the piston to top dead center, and the mark should be in the window, or nearly so. Note: the "OT" mark was replaced with a "Z" at some point. Does anyone know when?
my 81 has OT and Z.
Are you saying the Z mark replaces the F mark on later flywheels (clutch carriers)?
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Bamboo812 wrote:
ME 109 wrote:
my 81 has OT and Z.
Are you saying the Z mark replaces the F mark on later flywheels (clutch carriers)?
Yes.
Lord of the Bings
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Alrighty then, Haynes was not too specific about that...