'76 R60/6 - New Brake ring front hub?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Bamboo812

Re: '76 R60/6 - New Brake ring front hub?

Post by Bamboo812 »

The factory brake shoes have the consistency of granite, and the braking suffers as a result. The drum brakes will grab the first time you use them, or when they get wet. This is "normal". At 80k, I doubt the drum surface is very worn. A new set of Fedoro brake shoes, and proper set up, will improve performance noticeably (available from Vintage Brake for about 1/2 the price of stock). Pull the wheel and look at the braking surface. There should be no ridge worn in where the shoes make contact.
Last edited by Bamboo812 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Yeah, if it's never been grooved by a worn out shoe getting down to metal, an 80k hub should still be fine.
MS - out
opus451

Post by opus451 »

Thanks, that's a load off my mind.
Thought I'd be eating cans of tuna three times a day for the next couple of months to pay for something big. I'll check those shoes out and give the hub a good eyeball.

But still I wonder-can a new ring be payed into the hub?
I feel my brain tapping me saying Snowbum posted something on it.
Will read but welcome your thoughts. Seems crazy to toss a perfectly good hub.
Eric "Opus" Carlsen
A Brooklyn native
1976 R60/6
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

BMW specifies a wear tolerance, and I have seen one or two worn out drums in my day, but I've also worked on two 100,000 mile bikes recently that had no visible wear to the drum and minimal wear to the shoes. Like I said; granite... That said, one thing Vintage brake and others will do is radius the shoes to match the drum. This would most likely entail shipping the wheel, if no one in your neighborhood can do it.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Bamboo812 wrote:That said, one thing Vintage brake and others will do is radius the shoes to match the drum. This would most likely entail shipping the wheel, if no one in your neighborhood can do it.
Naw, you should just be able to send them the dimensions.
MS - out
opus451

Post by opus451 »

http://www.vintagebrake.com/drum.htm

When I saw that they "reline", I assumed that meant a new ring in the drum.
That relining is making a custom shoe material. And they also reshape, and seems will turn the drum surface.
I will bookmark it though for any shoe work I might like to do, thanks for the suggestion!
Eric "Opus" Carlsen
A Brooklyn native
1976 R60/6