Transmission removal

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Transmission removal

Post by Zombie Master »

1984 R100
I see procedures calling for the removal of the battery box, but videos show it left on for the transmission removal.

Do you remove, or is it better to remove the rear wheel, before pulling the swing arm back during this procedure?

Thanx :)
Any and all disclaimers may apply
melville

Re: Transmission removal

Post by melville »

The trans does not need to come out if you are only lubing the splines. (that is what you are doing, right?) Pull the swingarm pins and slide the trans and swingarm back as far as you can. This should expose the splines sufficient to get in there with a flux brush loaded with Moly 60.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Ray from Indiana

Post by Ray from Indiana »

You can leave it on. For the wheel just pull it back after removing the swing arm pins and the drive shaft bolts...then hold the wheel rearward using cargo strap. Works for me.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I take the two top nuts off the battery carrier and it can lay back sufficiently.
+1 for pulling the swing arm pins and pulling/tieing the whole lot back out of the way. It all can move back about an inch making things much easier.

Edit, reading your other post Neil, don't worry about the splines if all feels well. Ride it and worry about it next year or the one after that.
Lord of the Bings
daz

Post by daz »

ME 109 wrote:I take the two top nuts off the battery carrier and it can lay back sufficiently.
+1 for pulling the swing arm pins and pulling/tieing the whole lot back out of the way. It all can move back about an inch making things much easier.

Edit, reading your other post Neil, don't worry about the splines if all feels well. Ride it and worry about it next year or the one after that.
I do not think he is a short cut kind of guy. You feel good after a. Complete splines lube.
1971 R50/5, 1980 R100T,
CRF 300 Rally, CRF 250F,
1947 James ML
dougie

Post by dougie »

FWIW -
I always got the inner/outer splines clean before putting new lube (Moly60) on.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

dougie, +1. Don't even think of lubing the splines without cleaning them very well first. Adding lube to dirty splines is just adding to the grinding paste. As the splines wear down, where do you think those very tiny metal particles go?

If you don't have a history on spline lube, do it now, don't wait. Remove the trans, clean the teeth on the input shaft and the clutch hub. Inspect and take a photo or two of the wear. Document it in your bike log book. If you use a computer for that purpose, is it backed up?
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Duane Ausherman wrote:dougie, +1. Don't even think of lubing the splines without cleaning them very well first. Adding lube to dirty splines is just adding to the grinding paste. As the splines wear down, where do you think those very tiny metal particles go?

If you don't have a history on spline lube, do it now, don't wait. Remove the trans, clean the teeth on the input shaft and the clutch hub. Inspect and take a photo or two of the wear. Document it in your bike log book. If you use a computer for that purpose, is it backed up?
I did about 15,000 miles ago, but it was a long time ago.
Any and all disclaimers may apply