electronic ignition

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Garnet

Re: electronic ignition

Post by Garnet »

dwire wrote:Omega - $261.00 shipped...

That's a lot of points (and condensers...) :-)

Would I be THAT impressed?
I supose once you have decided to go pointless you are looking at least $150 to your door, so is the Omega worth another C note?

Just another pointless opinion. :geek:
Garnet

dwire

Post by dwire »

Garnet wrote:Just another pointless opinion. :geek:
Here is what was so funny to me when I initially read your post - must have been a "Freudian slip" of the eyes; I read:

Just another pointless OPTION.

He, he... "Y'all" run me off soon enough if my attention to detail(s) continues to deteriorate... :D
1971 R75/5 (SWB)
If you're going to hire MACHETE to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

dwire wrote:
He, he... "Y'all" run me off soon enough if my attention to detail(s) continues to deteriorate... :D
Not likely, dwire. Your posts are well written, entertaining, 'gentlemanly' and appreciated.

Justifying an expensive investment is sometimes tricky. For me it took a few years for the necessity for an Omega ignition to rise to the top of my priority list. Things like mortgage payments and catfood just kept getting in the way.

During that time I had to file those damn points and reset the timing many times, sometimes in uncomfortable circumstances when I was in a hurry to get somewhere. Synchronisation was always an issue, and the plate that the points sit on was a real mess (that plate is $220 to replace here in Oz).

Since I fitted the Omega the ten year drought in this part of Australia has broken. My garden is far more productive. I'm hanging out with a better class of people. My home brew tastes better and my penis is able to maintain an erection for significantly longer. O yeah, and the bike runs better. Your kilometreage may vary, of course.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
dwire

Post by dwire »

Thanks Air.

I am most pleased as I lamented in another thread that even when I (or anyone else for that matter) is having a spell of the "dumbs" that we can all walk away in the end more enriched by the affair, but as well still friends.

OK, so now my points seem to do OK, then again this bike only has 36K on it too, but did I read somewhere in your post my penis will enlarge from the Omega points system? Huh, I think that is the most compelling argument on this bike to spend that kind of "scratch" to replace the points system. Hopefully, it will stay content with the antiquated system. I know I never find myself saying, "DAM THIS THING! If it only idled smoother, or accelerated faster..." or etc. etc. I am 100% sure I would likely see an improvement indeed, right now at least, I am content and have no problems and fully believe the bike can "out-ride" me any day of the week!
1971 R75/5 (SWB)
If you're going to hire MACHETE to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Charlie wrote:
"Since I fitted the Omega the ten year drought in this part of Australia has broken. My garden is far more productive. I'm hanging out with a better class of people. My home brew tastes better and my penis is able to maintain an erection for significantly longer."

Uhhh........are you sure you read the instructions correctly :?: :P
Garnet

painter

Post by painter »

Thanks to all for opinions, thoughts, recommendations. Anything else before I make a decision? The bike was (originally) a '72 75/5, since been cobbled together with /6 and /7 parts, bored to 800cc, no lowering of compression (I think, at least we didn't install the base gaskets during the top end reassembly) and dual plugged. Runs well on 87 octane and much better using 92.

Okay, I'm ready for more...
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

If you are dual plugged spend the exrtra on the Omega.
Garnet

SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Garnet wrote:Charlie wrote:
"Since I fitted the Omega the ten year drought in this part of Australia has broken. My garden is far more productive. I'm hanging out with a better class of people. My home brew tastes better and my penis is able to maintain an erection for significantly longer."

Uhhh........are you sure you read the instructions correctly :?: :P
Probably. It's ALL about timing y'know! :D
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

A guy over on ADV rigged up his Omega so that it was switchable with the stock system on the run.

He reported that there was no noticeable difference in the way the bike ran switching from one to the other..

I have the latest Boyer Micro Power system on my twin plugged 1000cc G/S- , cost around $220- incl two twin coils and four plug leads and caps.

My rev counter and timing light are U/S so timing was set by road test up a long steep hill.
Ended up with 26/27 degrees full advance, probably not in till around 3600/3800 revs.
Last edited by Roy Gavin on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
mattcfish

Post by mattcfish »

Roy Gavin wrote:A guy over on ADV rigged up his Omega so that it was switchable with the stock system on the run.

He reported that there was no noticeable difference in the way the bike ran switching from one to the other..
There'll be a big difference if you start to get any slop in your timing chain. The main advantage to a crank mounted ignition (other than adjustable curves) is accurate spark all the time. The stock cam driven unit relies on a mechanical mechanism and a chain to drive it. Both ware very slowly and over time create inaccuracies in timing. The stock system also relies on the cam nose (on older models) being absolutely straight. For some reason they tend to bend over time. Once they get bent you get an uneven spark every other rotation. The cam spins at half the speed of the crank, that's why two lobes are required for points and two pick-ups for electronic ignitions. A crank mounted ignition has no slop, and only needs one pick-up for every rotation. Accurate everytime at every RPM. And the advance is electronic so it's not subject to vibration or friction issues. It either works or it doesn't.
My bike idles as smooth as silk and runs much, much cooler.
Bellingham, WA USA
1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW 2002
1971 VW Westfalia
1985 VW Vanagon
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1074183/