nickel

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
vanzen

Re: nickel

Post by vanzen »

R90Steve wrote:Several of the platers are plating iron cylinders with nicasil now. Tom Cutter had built several bikes with them when I emailed him for information last spring. He said so far so good. This would be a great alternative for the pre 81 bikes.
Nikasil on an iron bore ?
Losing 1/2 the advantage of the process, but longevity of the bore would still be a plus ...
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

R90Steve wrote:Several of the platers are plating iron cylinders with nicasil now. Tom Cutter had built several bikes with them when I emailed him for information last spring. He said so far so good. This would be a great alternative for the pre 81 bikes.
I hadn't heard of plating with Nikasil, but Bore-Tech does a carbide treatment. A lot of the /2 folks use their service.

Kurt in S.A.
R90Steve

Post by R90Steve »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:
I hadn't heard of plating with Nikasil, but Bore-Tech does a carbide treatment. A lot of the /2 folks use their service.

Kurt in S.A.
I think we are talking about the same thing. Nikasil or Nikaseal is a nickel composite layer with silicone carbide particals impregnated for hardness and durability. The nickel is said to be like the mortar in a stone wall, it holds the particals in place, but really it is the silicone carbide that is responsible for the benefits of the plating.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

R90Steve wrote: I think we are talking about the same thing. Nikasil or Nikaseal is a nickel composite layer with silicone carbide particals impregnated for hardness and durability. The nickel is said to be like the mortar in a stone wall, it holds the particals in place, but really it is the silicone carbide that is responsible for the benefits of the plating.
There are a couple competing processes. "Nikasil" is trademarked, so other processes can different, or, sometimes, extremely similar.
MS - out