R100RS top speed.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
SteveD

Re: R100RS top speed.

Post by SteveD »

It should get to close to 200kph.

A 1983 20K km R100RS I had years ago, displayed 215kph, at sea level, a very long straight, and no headwind. For the Ozzies, this was the road below Wilmington Pass, following the coast heading north to Port Augusta.

The keyword of course is "displayed". No gps to validate in 1985, and knowing the inherent inaccuracy of these speedos....

I've never seen more than 200 kph since, and these days I doubt I'll ever even try. Here in Victoria, Oz, the government likes the income from speeding, and the bastards are everywhere.
Last edited by SteveD on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
vanzen

Post by vanzen »

First, anything that you might read on the speedo will be optimistic ...
If you are seeing @ 120+ actual speed on a relatively stock machine,
you're in the ballpark of "as good as it gets".
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I once got to 195 kph in a steep dive, but had to abort the test as I was coming under attack from ground fire.

185 is about it for my 81 RS.
Lord of the Bings
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

My bog standard '81 RS will do 140mph any day... and of course my speedo is accurate :D

In reality, very few speedos are accurate over about 70mph. There is no legal requirement, certain in this country, for them to be accurate outside the Max national speed limits and, as far as I'm aware that goes for most other legislatures as well.

In other words, before you start beating your bike up, make absolutely sure that the reading you are getting bears some relationship with reality.

Rob
ImageImageImage
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Rob Frankham wrote: In other words, before you start beating your bike up, make absolutely sure that the reading you are getting bears some relationship with reality.

Rob
That's a good point Rob, I'm going to get an air speed indicator.

I'm w----a------y past 'starting' to beat up my bike. That started last century.
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Rob Frankham wrote:My bog standard '81 RS will do 140mph any day... and of course my speedo is accurate :D

In reality, very few speedos are accurate over about 70mph. There is no legal requirement, certain in this country, for them to be accurate outside the Max national speed limits and, as far as I'm aware that goes for most other legislatures as well.

In other words, before you start beating your bike up, make absolutely sure that the reading you are getting bears some relationship with reality.

Rob
140 mile/hour (mph) = 225.308 16 kilometer/hour :D . Your speedo must've come from a similiar batch to mine all those years ago! :lol:

How often do you get to open yours up Rob? At least here in Oz, we have the occasional wide open space that's almost endless. That's where they use the police spotters in 'planes! Time and distance between road markings!

I've managed to open mine up once or twice in the past 12 months, but still nowhere near its top speed.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

SteveD wrote:
Rob Frankham wrote:My bog standard '81 RS will do 140mph any day... and of course my speedo is accurate :D

Rob
140 mile/hour (mph) = 225.308 16 kilometer/hour :D . Your speedo must've come from a similiar batch to mine all those years ago! :lol:

How often do you get to open yours up Rob? At least here in Oz, we have the occasional wide open space that's almost endless. That's where they use the police spotters in 'planes! Time and distance between road markings!

I've managed to open mine up once or twice in the past 12 months, but still nowhere near its top speed.
Me... I never exceed the 70mph national maximum speed limit.. ever... would I do such thing? :shock: it's just that my miles are a bit longer than anyone elses ;)

Rob
ImageImageImage
RDG

Post by RDG »

Yeah, the RS should do over the tonne. My 77 with 33/11 just does 115 mph by GPS indication, tucked in and down. By the speedo I'm doing over 135!!!! Woo Hoo!...........................uh, I mean just over 55 officer, I swear! This machine is older than you with over a hunnert thousand miles on it, I don't think it could hit 60 on a good day....Hey, I'm just sayin'.........
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

All BMW speedos are at least 5% optimistic, some are 10%......so we need to be talking about gps validated speed. My 'S' with a tuned engine is still accelerating at a real 115, but that's when I chickened out! For an RS would be difficult to say for sure as not all RS bikes are the same with various changes in engine tune and gearing over the years, I would reckon in the range of 110-120, but will go all day at 90-95,
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
DeutschMark

Post by DeutschMark »

My '89 with some performance modifications will pull just under redline on a flat surface, no downhill cheating. This is 115mph with a GPS. I suspect this is just about the maximum 'actual' speed that most 1000cc machines in well-tuned condition will do, even the fabled "big-pipe" 1977 models. My speedometer reads around 120 at this speed.

Can anyone prove me wrong???