Handlebar M/C Conversion Kit for R75/6

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
chasbmw

Re: Handlebar M/C Conversion Kit for R75/6

Post by chasbmw »

I think that platinum in this case may refer to the silvery coating on the rear of the pads, I would reckon that it's there to stop any corrosiam between caliper piston and pad, if for instance bike is left outside and not used for long time. Ferodo havebenn making brake pad materials since the 1920s and were certainly heavily inviolved in the development of disc brakes for cars and aircraft in the 1950s.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I see, it's the pad sticking to the piston, not the piston sticking in the caliper.

I have Metal King? pads at the moment. (couldn't get EBC at the time) They stop ok and don't seem to wear the discs but they do squeal.
Lord of the Bings
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

Would a tad of brake grease between pad and cylinder help?
Charles
1975 R90/6
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I put some oil on the disc which stopped the squealing, but it didn't stop the bike. :roll:

Seriously tho' Chas, is that where the squeal originates? I always thought it was pad against disc.
Lord of the Bings
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

You can but try, various other disc types have used shims.... It's the little sachets of high temp grease like Motorworks sell.
Charles
1975 R90/6
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I had a short ride this afternoon and while wondering why fuel was pissing all over my left boot, I thought about ordering 3 pairs of EBC pads. I've never had squealing brakes before. Front brakes and back brakes are doing it.
No big deal, but if it doesn't have to be.......
I might even check out those Ferodo's

Ferodo's sound appropriate for the Lord of the Bings.
Lord of the Bings
dougie

Post by dougie »

ME 109 wrote:Ferodo's sound appropriate for the Lord of the Bings.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Major Softie wrote: Hyperbole is, by every definition I can find, exaggeration - not meant to be taken literally. I believe that would, in fact, mean that it is not true. I don't find any claims there that, as far as I know, fit that definition.
I'm not sure I'm getting your point exactly, Major. Looking around I certainly got similar definitions of hyperbole: essentially an exaggeration for effect or for emphasis, or simply an extravagant expression. The implication, as I take it, is that there must be an element of truth for there to be a hyperbolic exaggeration of it. Though I certainly had a good time poking fun at Vintage Brake's description of the merits for Ferodo's Platinum pads, I was mentally, if not clearly indicating it in my post, that I was accusing Vintage Brake of excess.

(Editing: In my review of definitions for "hyperbole" I did find one reference to "not meant to be taken literally". That appeared in the following phrase from Wikipedia, that well known final infallible authority on everything. The phrase went, "Exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally." The significant word being "or" as opposed to "and". That's significant I think. Going on then:)

The center point of my use of the word "hyperbole" vs your comments would seem to hinge on whether Vintage Brake was intending for their advertising copy to be taken literally or not. You believe (if I'm inferring it correctly) that Vintage Brake was intending for their advertising copy to be taken as truth and light, and therefore not meeting the definition of hyperbole. I, on the other hand, thought they were grossly exaggerating the design elements of the Ferodo pads; that is I was allowing some minimal credibility, hence my use of the word hyperbole.

There's a certain irony here in that I chose to quarrel with Vintage Brake when I think the odds are very high that Vintage Brake simply copied and pasted Ferodo advertising copy. I would have expected Vintage Brake, as a wholesale or retail seller, to have written something along the lines that they really liked the new Ferodo pads and believe that they are a major improvement in braking technology. And maybe even telling us why.

Instead of using all that hyperbole! :D

Ken

Post by Major Softie »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Major Softie wrote: Hyperbole is, by every definition I can find, exaggeration - not meant to be taken literally. I believe that would, in fact, mean that it is not true. I don't find any claims there that, as far as I know, fit that definition.
I'm not sure I'm getting your point exactly, Major. Looking around I certainly got similar definitions of hyperbole: essentially an exaggeration for effect or for emphasis, or simply an extravagant expression. The implication, as I take it, is that there must be an element of truth for there to be a hyperbolic exaggeration of it. Though I certainly had a good time poking fun at Vintage Brake's description of the merits for Ferodo's Platinum pads, I was mentally, if not clearly indicating it in my post, that I was accusing Vintage Brake of excess.

(Editing: In my review of definitions for "hyperbole" I did find one reference to "not meant to be taken literally". That appeared in the following phrase from Wikipedia, that well known final infallible authority on everything. The phrase went, "Exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally." The significant word being "or" as opposed to "and". That's significant I think. Going on then:)

The center point of my use of the word "hyperbole" vs your comments would seem to hinge on whether Vintage Brake was intending for their advertising copy to be taken literally or not. You believe (if I'm inferring it correctly) that Vintage Brake was intending for their advertising copy to be taken as truth and light, and therefore not meeting the definition of hyperbole. I, on the other hand, thought they were grossly exaggerating the design elements of the Ferodo pads; that is I was allowing some minimal credibility, hence my use of the word hyperbole.

There's a certain irony here in that I chose to quarrel with Vintage Brake when I think the odds are very high that Vintage Brake simply copied and pasted Ferodo advertising copy. I would have expected Vintage Brake, as a wholesale or retail seller, to have written something along the lines that they really liked the new Ferodo pads and believe that they are a major improvement in braking technology. And maybe even telling us why.

Instead of using all that hyperbole! :D

Ken
Sorry that I wasn't clear. MY point was that labeling hyperbole requires something to not actually be true - exaggeration is not true - and I didn't see anything in the text that was not true as far as I could tell. I did not find the claims in the ad to rise to the level of hyperbole. I'm pretty sensitive to advertising language, but the ad seemed to be almost entirely claims which could be true, and, if they are, mean those are very good brake pads.

Puffery, on the other hand, is an advertising claim that is unprovable and unmeasurable, such as: "brilliant performance." In fact, that phrase is the only one that appears to be puffery in the ad. Puffery is something for which an advertiser cannot be held accountable, as it is simply not possible to measure, prove, or disprove such claims, and they are meaningless. "Made from the finest stuff on earth" is a fine example from Snapple. All the other claims in the ad (other than "brilliant performance") are things for which they can be held accountable if they are not true. That doesn't mean they are true, but there's nothing there that I know isn't true.

P.S. Ferodo does make (or has made) a "gold" pad. I haven't found a "silver," but I did find that labeling the different levels of quality in a brake pad line as "silver," gold," and "platinum," is actually a current standard practice in the industry, being used by Napa, Bendix, Wearever, EBC, Duralast, etc..
MS - out
Armaguidon13

Post by Armaguidon13 »

I've put a 14mm on my 77RS with twin ATE 40mm, the nex time I'll put 13mm for better feeling