Oh for the love of the RS

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Chuey

Re: Oh for the love of the RS

Post by Chuey »

I like my RS for touring:

Here's another shot. Both of these are near Yellowstone National Park in Montana.

Chuey
hools100RS

Post by hools100RS »

I'm a long time admirer and recent owner/devotee of the 100RS! (an '81 model). August last year, I bought a high mile import that had had top end work completed, but the bottom end was neglected by previous owners, probably because BMW bottom ends are renowned for their longevity and inherent strength. Anyway.... on the way home from work in March, a big end bearng said "enough!!!" and subsequent strip down revealed a mess inside, with both mains and big ends totally Kaput! The rebuild, completed about a month ago, included replacement crank off Ebay and in beautiful nick! New main and big end bearings, rods lightly linished and new small end bushes fitted. New gudgeon (wrist) pins, camshaft and sprocket, new crank sprocket, timing chain, rotor, oil pump.etc. In short, the works!!! The motor started in the first few revolutions after getting oil pressure up on the starter without plugs!!!
It's been running beautifully for the last 1000 miles (English speedo!)and is a confidence inspiring ride; great brakes, fantastic useable spread of power and a lovely neutral handler. That fairing really is the goods!!! and at high speed, pins the front end to the deck, losing the vagueness of the '90S. The steering lock is a little limited by the fairing gaiters, though probably more my fault in preventing them from tearing loose at full lock. The rear brake is ordinary compared to the rear drum on both my 90S and 80G/S, an all or nothing stopper that I'm sure will benefit from some fine tuning. I'm surprised at how cool it runs with the oil cooler only warming after a hard. fast ride. Still, summer's on the way and it'll probably earn its keep then!!!

I've spoken to heaps of former and present RS owners who have nothing but praise for what must be one of the great airheads. It's become my regular ride: versatile, able to carry a ton of camping trash and virtually vice free. On changing the needles and needle jets, mileage has improved heaps and new alternator brushes, new Bosch RE55 regulator and a contact clean up has cured an often just glowing charge light. (....it is 30 years old after all!!)
Just love it!!!! :)
Attachments
IMG_1306a.jpg
IMG_1306a.jpg (78.33 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Last edited by hools100RS on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Good to hear Hools, sounds like you're ready to hit the dirt with us in September!
Up to Bourke, down the Darling to Tilpa, further down to Wilcannia, further down to Menindee, across to Ivahoe etc,etc.
Gonna take a few GS's on a trip.
U comin' ???
Lord of the Bings
Sunbeem

Post by Sunbeem »

Great stuff lomax, I share your feelings regarding the RS, and the more I hear, the more I realise how lucky I am to have had one find me.
I advertised my ex-army Armstrong, in exchange for "anything BMW, " and had only one reply. I would have been content with a good box of bits and a rolling chassis, so arriving at a vicarage in Plymouth with my trailer, to find a 1978 R100RS complete and with extra's, a dual-plug conversion and very tidy appearance, was a moment I'll not forget.

Incidentally, my bars are immediately behind the bare stalk of the damper spindle, thanks to a home-made set of brackets.
The damper unit doesn't damp, so nothing is lost and the handling never suffers, but the K bars are very comfortable now.
I can live with the appearance, promising myself that one day I'll weld a circle into the bars for the spindle to come through, refit the knob, and get a damper that works, (or better, fix the original). All easy to undo, should the need arise.

Sunbeem.
One day more -- one day less.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Great little story Sunbeem! Did you really have no idea there was a working RS coming home in your trailer??

I just went out the back to see if I had any Armstrongs lying about......Nup. :cry:

As for the damper...... I think they are for very poorly set up front ends, or adventuring down sandy tracks.
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

OK...I've been quiet long enough! Here's the story.

Grant has his RS up for sale! Someone talk some sense into him please!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-R100rs-1 ... 4cf91fa1dc

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

SteveD wrote:OK...I've been quiet long enough! Here's the story.

I've said my bit.

I wish I had some spare cash.
My next bike will be a good nick 81 RS 507color scheme.....one day.
Lord of the Bings
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-R100rs-1 ... 4cf91fa1dc

Well someone should flag the auction and the seller as scam so he can't to sell it. He might be a little pissed at you now but he will thank you later. You know, tough love.
Garnet

Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

ME 109 wrote:

I've said my bit.

I wish I had some spare cash.
My next bike will be a good nick 81 RS 507color scheme.....one day.
Grant,
Not to hijack this thread, but how's the restoration of the Chevy coming?
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
Sunbeem

Post by Sunbeem »

"Did you really have no idea there was a working RS coming home in your trailer??"

I'd seen a pic Jeff, so I knew my expectations were already exceeded, but the battery was flat, so I'd no idea about the condition of the internals. Not sure the vicar had either, but he was a sincere and pleasant chap, and he had spent about a thousand quid on the bike, before losing interest. There were some electrical problems, just enough to introduce me to some of her more interesting areas, but considering what could have been faulty, my guardian angel was with me that day.

I love a bike that ticks like an old grandfather clock, don't you ?

After I'd valued the Armstrong, I discovered a crack in the clutch lever clamp, so I said I'd knock off the price of a new one.
The vicar said he could get a good second hand lever for half the price of a new one, and that would be fine.
You know where you are with folk like that.
It was a good start.

Sunbeem.

PS. I set about the number plate the other day, significantly reducing its acreage with a hacksaw. The weight reduction will add another glass of red to my daily diet without overall increase, and the offcuts will make a fine chicken coop.
Now my indicators look all wrong -- and I have my new found status as fashion guru to uphold. It's tough at the top.
One day more -- one day less.