Testing a battery...

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Major Softie

Re: Testing a battery...

Post by Major Softie »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Duane Ausherman wrote:"ancillary components" Ken, Diane likes it when you talk like that.
It's early in the morning and I'm fully caffinated. Tell her not to be expecting words like that all the time.

Ken, alert in Oklahoma
Your vocabulary "sunsets?"
MS - out
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Major Softie wrote:
Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
It's early in the morning and I'm fully caffinated. Tell her not to be expecting words like that all the time.
Your vocabulary "sunsets?"

No, my brain does though. The words are already there--if I could only think of them.

Ken

Battery life

Post by Jean »

Since your bike is an '87, I'll assume you have some sort of electronic ignition. They don't like low voltages. HOWEVER it seems you have plenty at 10.8v to satisfy it for sparking.
I had a Mareg battery that operated nicely for over 9 years. I negelected to keep the water level where it ought to be and the thing finally failed. If you can check the gravity (wet cells) you will be able to tell if it is dying long before it leaves you somewhere. Wet batteries usually don't fail suddenly; my very expensive WestCo did tho. Good one day, dedder than a doornail the next and no way to find out whot-happen'd. SEEMED to be a dead cell.
Mareg is NOT a $60 battery however. More like $120 for the one for an R100s...
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

dougie wrote:Thanks folks.
Going to check on a Yuasa 53030.
Nice to know I can do it at my leisure, as long as it is before the COLD wearher sets in.
I;ve used the 53030 in 2 different bikes lately. 82 R100 and 78 R100/7. Work great so far but was sckepticle as they are 1/2 the size of the old Y60's (in terms of width, but same height and length). Ya hafta fill up the rest of the battery carrier with something to keep them from moving around in addition to the top clamp.

Not used in our cooler riding season yet but don't expect any problems.

Seems the 53030 is now Yuasa's replacement for the old BIG Y60 (?) or is it Y24 series.
Retired from work....not life!
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Yea! Jean is still lurking! :D
dougie

Re: Battery life

Post by dougie »

Jean wrote: If you can check the gravity (wet cells) you will be able to tell if it is dying long before it leaves you somewhere.
Nice to hear from you again Jean, don't be such a stranger.
I am going to get one of those little gizmos that checks specific gravity before I do anything rash (like spend big $$$).
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Thanks for all the good words, guys. I am touched...didn't know I would be missed so much. ps. I'm still using LM wet-cell batteries in all my big bikes...
(Non-battery info follows)
I haven't had much time for web work for a while as I was editing and typing a PhD dissertation for a friend. She got her "paper" and she and her hubby paid my way to Scotland to see her graduate from the University at Aberdeen.
I'll be up at Boone Friday night...I think it's the 30-'lebenth Boone-coon rally...something like that. Maybe I'll see some of you there. I was at the Airheads rally: Mt. Zion, earlier this year, and rather than fixing bike, tried to repair body of Airhead buddy from Toronto. Turned out he HAD a fractured tibia...I KNEW something was broken.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

That sounds like a great way to get to Scotland! :D
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Jean! Great to see you again, mate. A person of many talents apparently.
Do hang about - we need your thoughtful and enlightened perspective.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Sunbeem

Post by Sunbeem »

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had good results with the pills which de-sulphate the battery plates, ( 'ave I got that right?).

Sunbeem.
One day more -- one day less.