Gaiters like Germans. Not just in the Northern Territory...

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Jean

Re: Gaiters like Germans. Not just in the Northern Territory

Post by Jean »

You sure got a LOT of blue coils lined-up under there...2 more on the other side??
Lessee now, busted-up shoulder, Day ONE.
Speeding ticket, Day TWO.
I'm beginning to see a pattern here...at least none of the above damaged the bike.
Last time I was with some other folk and we were going REALLY-REALLY FAST, the lead bike is who got the ticket. It's been some years now...
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Jean wrote:You sure got a LOT of blue coils lined-up under there...2 more on the other side??
Lessee now, busted-up shoulder, Day ONE.
Speeding ticket, Day TWO.
I'm beginning to see a pattern here...at least none of the above damaged the bike.
Last time I was with some other folk and we were going REALLY-REALLY FAST, the lead bike is who got the ticket. It's been some years now...
Only two coils. I never went for dual-plugging.
The points-driven R65s ('78-'80) had two separate coils while the electronic ignition ones ('81-on) had a twin crack-o-matic coil.

The speeding ticket was the result of coming into a populated area that had a brand new expressway/bypass. Because of the pain in my shoulder, I was impatient to get to Ken's. We came onto that bypass I just ignored the signs indicating the reduced speed.

Sometimes I appear to be smart, but underneath...
Ross

Post by Ross »

5wt oil has replaced the 10wt. Front end no longer bounces over bumps now.
Me wittle bit of the web........http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Motobins stocks both kinds/sizes of gaitors.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R Series 2 valve Twin

The thicker fat ones (#93900) I just put on my 81R100 beater which I use as my "backroads" bike a la GS...sort of. The thinner ones (#93901) I'll be fitting to my 77RS. They are only 62mm dia at ribs vs 76mm of the fat ones. They work well with the RS or RT fairings being thinner I guess. Part description states that #93901 to be used with RS/RT models. Have to also use upper spacer disk with these ones part # 93909. Both have "vent" holes. I just popped in a roll spring into triple tree as the "straw" for venting. Didn't have the "vent straw" as just had small dust covers over fork seals. Don't know if makes any difference. Switched to 10w fork oil on this bike...like the feel on the backroads better.

Here's some lousy pix showing difference in size (diameter that is). Both same length but one is 11 ribs (fat) other is 13 (thin)

Fat ones on the R100...

Comparison...thin vs fat

Thin ones with the required spacer part...

SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I have the thin ones on my RS. They last 5-6 years in my experience. They tend to split at the inner fold.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I got the fat ones Steve, looking good after about 12 years.

Wasn't there a gaitor to suit RS and RT that was minus a rib at the top so as not to interfere with the bellows?
Lord of the Bings