Oh for the love of the RS

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Sunbeem

Re: Oh for the love of the RS

Post by Sunbeem »

Bonjour Armaguidon, I'm pleased to hear that the RS has captured a French heart, I feel the same way, and like all good love affairs, respect plays an important part.
It does seem generally agreed that some modification is needed to make the bike comfortable, so I wondered if your RS is still as original ?
I wish I could take my RS to the Quiberon peninsula next month, but will have to be content with just a bicycle, it will be a pleasant change to be treated as if I have a right to use the road again. (By mid-September, all the Brits have gone home ).

Sunbeem.
One day more -- one day less.
Armaguidon13

Post by Armaguidon13 »

Thanks
For my RS, I've tried a taller screen : I don't like it, I don't like to see through.
I've tried BMW solo seat too tall !
I've put the RS handlebar more like clip ons (lowered), that's better.
I've a lot more real work to do... Top end rebuild (preventive)
tu put a set of 40 Dell I've got
Respray it as genuine 77 etc etc....
But this is a great bike for winter, highway etc, not the best for comuter
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

Yesterday I rode 825 miles on my stock position R100RS. In the 105F degree heat, I ended up with a second degree burn blister of about 3/4" on my right shin just above my boot. That is through vented (mesh) pants. Last year, same trip, same heat, in my Aerostich one piece suit, no burns but plenty hot. I'm not sure the vented suit does much good on a stock set-up RS. The 825 miles were part of a 2,400+mile trip. The outbound trip was at 110F degrees, so you can see it had cooled off for the return legs of the trip.

I hope to buy a police issue (used) R1200 RT for touring. I am imagining that it will be more comfortable for those long days. The RS has been a faithful and satisfying traveling companion but I'm a chiropractor's nightmare/dream come true after those long days hunched over the bars.

Chuey
Flatwins

Post by Flatwins »

Chuey wrote:
Flatwins wrote:Yep, I love my RS too. 1978 with CC Products built motor, lightened flywheel, wrist pins, balanced, dual plugged, etc. I didn't pay to have it all done but bought it that way with a stack of receipts. I need to give it a little TLC as it has been collecting dust a little too long while I've played with other bikes.
Have you ridden a stock one or ridden next to one? In other words, how does it compare to a stock bike? Sounds nice.

Chuey
Chuey,

I have not had the opportunity to ride an RS that wasn't tweaked in at least some manner. They have had lightened flywheels, dual plugs and such. In all honesty, I wouldn't pay to have a bunch of high performance goodies on one since I think that in stock form, BMWs are great for their intended purpose. Mine is kind of a fun toy that someone spent a boatload of money to build and then never rode. I just got lucky and got it at a great price. Someday my 10 yr old son will have it...
Steve
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Performance induced mods on my RS are lightened brake pedal, sidestand, crash bars, valve covers and paintwork.
It also has a 9mm Luger case in each perch and heavy duty fabric tape on the seat.
Other than that, it's stock.
I agree with Steve that a stock RS with big valves and 40mm bings has enough power for 'what it is' when used on the highway.
Not at all saying that I disagree with power enhancing mods, but if I wanted more power I'd buy a bike with three times as much power....stock.
Lord of the Bings
Ross

Post by Ross »

ME 109 wrote:Performance induced mods on my RS are lightened brake pedal, sidestand, crash bars, valve covers and paintwork............
All from cornering... :D
Me wittle bit of the web........http://rossmz.blogspot.com/