Toaster tank

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Mal S7

Toaster tank

Post by Mal S7 »

What's the differences between the toaster tank and the tanks without the chrome side panels?
I know they have side-tabs, and screw holes to hold the badges and panels. In photos it also looks like they have an outline groove in the shape of the panel, or is the whole side area a slight depression?

I got a rush of blood last night and bid on a couple of panels. Now I am not sure what I will actually do if I win 'em.

cheers
Mal
Duane Ausherman

Re: Toaster tank

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I have an article on the various tanks. The toaster tank is the same as if it didn't have the panels. They just didn't weld on the tabs that the chrome hooks behind.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

There may be some info here: http://boxerworks.com/forum2/viewtopic. ... aster+tank

If your tank has the two little straps to hold the back of the pannels in place they should fit.
Garnet

Mal S7

Post by Mal S7 »

Thanks Duane, Garnet, thats great news.
If they are much the same I am sure I can work out a way to attach them if I win.
That will tart up the /7.
Gaudy 70's americana, don'tcha love it!
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Mal S7 wrote:Thanks Duane, Garnet, thats great news.
If they are much the same I am sure I can work out a way to attach them if I win.
That will tart up the /7.
Gaudy 70's americana, don'tcha love it!
I've thought about going the same route, but using magnets glued to the covers and maybe a dab or two of Goop fore and aft to preclude movement.
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Did the later small tanks have screw holes for the emblems?
Garnet

Deleted User 62

Garnet wrote:Did the later small tanks have screw holes for the emblems?
Nope, but a glue on emblem will fit.
Mal S7

Post by Mal S7 »

I've thought about going the same route, but using magnets glued to the covers and maybe a dab or two of Goop fore and aft to preclude movement
I like your thinking Tim. Maybe that material they use for magnetic signs?

I think the rear tabs could be epoxied on, epoxy these days, given a clean surface and enough area is mighty strong.
Deleted User 62

I don't think the magnetic strips sold for signage are strong enough. I was thinking of some 15mm disc magnets glued inside each corner of the panel, using something like Household Goop, a very strong, but removable silicone glue. Then the panels can be positioned and a smaller dab of the same glue between magnet and tank would preclude movement. This would eliminate the possibility of being peeled off by the wind or when getting bumped around, but they would still be easily removable.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I'm not sure of the look of the chrome panels on a /7 tank?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.