My /5 rebuild intro.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Deleted User 62

Re: My /5 rebuild intro.

Post by Deleted User 62 »

The frame bracket is for the brake hose if you had a front disc brake. Use both halves of the horn bracket together: better strength, better sound, came from the factory that way.
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

Tim Shepherd wrote:The frame bracket is for the brake hose if you had a front disc brake. Use both halves of the horn bracket together: better strength, better sound, came from the factory that way.
Thanks alot. You all are keeping my restore correct. I really appreciate it.
73' R75/5 LWB
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

Tim Shepherd wrote:Bracket #5 is the one you need.
Well bracket #5 shows NLA. So, I did a google search on that part number and found a BMW car part supplier who had a bracket with that part number. I ordered two. Hopefully I receive the radio box brackets and not some bracket to a BMW car that happens to use the same part number.
73' R75/5 LWB
Deleted User 62

Max BMW was able to get them for me, but they had to bring them in from Germany. Interestingly, the radio boxes are still available, but around $450!
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

Oh, do you have the radio box on your bike? That 450 for the radio box was a hard pill to swallow. Especially since I am not even sure I am going to use it. I don't think it would look good without the leather police side bags so if I decide to move forward than it will be a considerable additional cost for the side bags and brackets/hardware. I am just pursuing the brackets now because I have the box and it is useless without them. I won't be coming back to this until the bike is mechanically sound.
73' R75/5 LWB
Deleted User 62

I picked up an NOS original Denfeld solo seat and radio box on ebay recently, for about 1/2 of the price of new, but the USPS seems to have lost it temporarily... :roll:
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

Had a pretty productive week with the bike. Painted the engine badges, lots of exacto knife work around those letters but in the end it was worth it. Installed and adjusted the rear brake switch,rear brake lever and linkage. Installed the left carburetor. The right carburetor had a piece of the enricher shaft chipped off which allowed the nut on the shaft to tighten it down to tight and than while I was messing with it I accidentally cross threaded the nut, dumb :( so that whole assembly is now on order. I polished the front reflector bezels and I installed the right side exhaust. The left side exhaust seems to be a little higher than the right. I adjusted the right all the way down and the left all the way up but it still seems slightly off. I havent measured it and the bike was on the lift slightly leaning to the right so I'll have to check that out some more.
exhaust800.jpg
exhaust800.jpg (151.33 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
2-19-12-800.jpg
2-19-12-800.jpg (243.48 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
reflector.jpg
reflector.jpg (231 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
73' R75/5 LWB
Deleted User 62

Nicely done! Not to be a nit picker here, but your fork gaiters should go down to that cast line on the slider.
x1Buellist

Post by x1Buellist »

Tim Shepherd wrote:Nicely done! Not to be a nit picker here, but your fork gaiters should go down to that cast line on the slider.
Oh thanks, I'll take care of that. Definetly nit pick away.The fork inards actually dont work correctly. Either severe stiction or I didn't assemble something correctly when I put them together (or both). I will be pulling them apart to check it out.

OK, I was done for the day but since you said that I had to go back out there and fix it. I had to really stretch them to get them to go down that far. I have the 11 rib gaiters. I think I read somewhere about 13? rib gaiters. I may have to check that out. I see on the SnowBum site it says that a /5 should have 13 rib gaiters.
73' R75/5 LWB
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

/5s had 13 ribbs and /6 and later 11.

You did check the fork tubes for alignment with a sheet of glass, yes? There's a good how to on Duane's site.
Garnet