19" Snowflake Wheel - Recall or not?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
the quinner

19" Snowflake Wheel - Recall or not?

Post by the quinner »

Here's one for the 19" front wheel recall buffs...

I found one that HAS the reinforcing "webs" ...but, it fails the date test. I've seen quite a few recall wheels, but have never seen one like this. Should I take it in and get a new one?

Major Softie

Re: 19" Snowflake Wheel - Recall or not?

Post by Major Softie »

Looks like you got the first one.

While it technically meets the text of the recall notice, it is clearly a post recall wheel. Just your basic "close, but not quite" on the date details by BMW.

Edit: here's what Bum's site says, which is not exactly the same as the notice.

"There is a manufacturing date code stamped into the side of 'a spokes crossover point'. IF the date code is 9/82 or before, AND, there are no support ribs, then see your BMW dealer for a new tube, new bearings, seals, ...and a new wheel!"
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm

The "AND" implies that others have run into your situation.
MS - out
Deleted User 72

Post by Deleted User 72 »

If it were me , I would try to have it replaced. I see no down side and that one needs cleaning at least.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

At the same time, The Quinners recall note says, Point 2, if the casting date is 10/82 or later, check for reinforcment.....

Does that imply that some wheels stamped 10/82 and beyond, may not have reinforcement?
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

ME 109 wrote:At the same time, The Quinners recall note says, Point 2, if the casting date is 10/82 or later, check for reinforcment.....

Does that imply that some wheels stamped 10/82 and beyond, may not have reinforcement?
Which would mean there's some September ones with webbing, and some October ones without. Weird.

The only way I can see that happening is if they were made in more than one place. Then it wouldn't be at all shocking if they didn't all transition on the same day.
MS - out
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

BMW's service bulletin, 36 022 84 (Aug 1984), states the following:

"Only cast wheels manufactured prior to 10/82 potentially contain the defect."

and

"2. If the casting date is 10/82 or later, check for reinforcement on spokes, no further action is necessary.

3. If the casting date is 9/82 or before, the wheel has to be exchanged."

The first two statements leave the door open a bit, but the last statement seems fairly explicit. But I think logic applies in this situation. If there are reinforcements on the spokes, no replacement is necessary...I suspect BMW would push back pretty hard on that.

Kurt in S.A.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

The Ozzie memo to dealers essentially says that after 9/82 the wheels are excluded from the recall...9/82 and before however...so by the letter of the recall, quinner is up for a new wheel. Then it goes on to talk about date stamps prior to 9/82 needing inspection? Someone wasn't too sharp on delineating the dates without the ambiguity.

Hey quinner, can you get that conversation with the parts guy on video?
;)

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
twist

Post by twist »

this recall must be for front wheels only, I couldn't find a date on my rear wheel.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

twist wrote:this recall must be for front wheels only, I couldn't find a date on my rear wheel.
The recall is for front 19" wheels only, but I can't understand why they would cast date front wheels and not rear ones.
MS - out
the quinner

Post by the quinner »

Kurt in S.A. wrote:BMW's service bulletin, 36 022 84 (Aug 1984), states the following:

"Only cast wheels manufactured prior to 10/82 potentially contain the defect."

and

"2. If the casting date is 10/82 or later, check for reinforcement on spokes, no further action is necessary.

3. If the casting date is 9/82 or before, the wheel has to be exchanged."

The first two statements leave the door open a bit, but the last statement seems fairly explicit. But I think logic applies in this situation. If there are reinforcements on the spokes, no replacement is necessary...I suspect BMW would push back pretty hard on that.

Kurt in S.A.
Well...from first hand knowledge, I know that logic does not apply to BMW service bulletins. The lawyers have a LOT more to do with the wording than the engineers.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into the "#2" ...the fact that it says to check for reinforcements does not necessarily suggest that one would ever find a 10/82 (or later) wheel with no reinforcements.

Another interesting thing is that the bulletin ONLY mentions the reinforcements in point #2 of the inspection...the remainder of the bulletin talks about dates. Nowhere is it suggested that presence of the reinforcements alone is a sign of a "good" wheel. The bulletin mentions metal fatigue, etc...but does NOT mention the reinforcements as the solution.

The wheel I have LOOKS like a post recall wheel...but, it fails the inspection...

...getting back to the lawyers having the final word on BMW's bulletins (PLUS the fact that this is a safety recall...not a simple service action)...I'm wondering if there was some question about the early reinforced wheels...?