19" Snowflake Wheel - Recall or not?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Redned

Re: 19" Snowflake Wheel - Recall or not?

Post by Redned »

I have owned a 1981 R100rt since new. It has now done 320,000ks, with relatively little major mechanical work. Engine/gearbox still untouched. However, onto the subject of snowflake wheel recall. I didn't become aware of this until fairly recently (don't know why, I certainly didn't get any advice from the dealer I bought it from!). My front wheel certainly doesn't have any of the extra ribbing of the replacement wheels, and it has no date stamps either. I would say though I'm not overly concerned, as I would have thought that if it were going to fail, it would have by now (31 years).
As a beside, would I get a replacement wheel at this sate stage?
Redned
vanzen

nothing to lose

Post by vanzen »

Take the wheel to the dealer and see what they have to say about the (apparent) discrepancy ...
You have nothing to lose by playing it safe, eh ?
vanzen

Post by vanzen »

Redned wrote: ... I would say though I'm not overly concerned, as I would have thought that if it were going to fail, it would have by now (31 years). As a beside, would I get a replacement wheel at this sate stage?
First point: You are in effect saying that continued use and stress on the part
will NOT increase the part's likelihood of failure.
The logic of that statement is absurd.
As to the second: YES, you should be able to get a brand new FREE replacement wheel from the dealer.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

vanzen@rockerboxer.com wrote:
Redned wrote: ... I would say though I'm not overly concerned, as I would have thought that if it were going to fail, it would have by now (31 years). As a beside, would I get a replacement wheel at this sate stage?
First point: You are in effect saying that continued use and stress on the part
will NOT increase the part's likelihood of failure.
The logic of that statement is absurd.
As to the second: YES, you should be able to get a brand new FREE replacement wheel from the dealer.
IF the wheel was subject to recall - which it most likely is.

I agree with Vanzen's assessment: the failure of such a wheel is more likely the longer it is used, not less.
MS - out
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Redned wrote:I have owned a 1981 R100rt since new. It has now done 320,000ks, ...... (31 years).
As a beside, would I get a replacement wheel at this sate stage?
Yes, it's happened in the last couple of years, even here in Oz. Ride the bike into the dealer, they'll inspect and check the vin nos. to ensure you're not scamming them. You should get a new wheel and evrything inside it, fitted to the bike. They take your original and bin it. Then you need to restore the rest of the bike to make the new wheel blend in!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.