77 to 78 shift linkage conversion

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Krauser4valve

77 to 78 shift linkage conversion

Post by Krauser4valve »

I'm tired of having my left foot bumping up under the Mikuni and I'm wondering if anyone has tried converting to the '78 shift linkage setup. Can I buy this set and just bolt it on or this a nasty job? http://tinyurl.com/72o6n9n
melville

Re: 77 to 78 shift linkage conversion

Post by melville »

The PO of my '75 did it, and it looked as simple as removing the shiftlever and peg and replacing same. It may take a little extra time to bling the lever.....

If you buy that set and have an extra right footpeg out of the deal, I may be able to help you.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Motorhead

Post by Motorhead »

Krauser4valve wrote:I'm tired of having my left foot bumping up under the Mikuni and I'm wondering if anyone has tried converting to the '78 shift linkage setup. Can I buy this set and just bolt it on or this a nasty job? http://tinyurl.com/72o6n9n

that set up although works has the same position as you had before I had the same problem with my Mikuni

so I cut the shifter part from the peg and installed it on the right peg that I prepaired for left mount then installed and that evened the pegs both sides

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! toes far away from the carb I even crafted a nice shifter so my foot to work it is where I place my foot to ride
melville

Post by melville »

Motorhead wrote:
Krauser4valve wrote:I'm tired of having my left foot bumping up under the Mikuni and I'm wondering if anyone has tried converting to the '78 shift linkage setup. Can I buy this set and just bolt it on or this a nasty job? http://tinyurl.com/72o6n9n

that set up although works has the same position as you had before I had the same problem with my Mikuni

so I cut the shifter part from the peg and installed it on the right peg that I prepaired for left mount then installed and that evened the pegs both sides

It worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! toes far away from the carb I even crafted a nice shifter so my foot to work it is where I place my foot to ride
Ssshhh! That's why I wanted the spare right peg!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Motorhead

Post by Motorhead »

Cool
Krauser4valve

Post by Krauser4valve »

So, if I do this, it won't solve the toe-on-float-bowl problem and I should send the right peg to melville. :lol:
melville

Post by melville »

Krauser4valve wrote:So, if I do this, it won't solve the toe-on-float-bowl problem and I should send the right peg to melville. :lol:
Yeah, I can't speak for the toe/carb interference as I have Bings and Size 9.5s, but I'm a goofy-footed surfer and it disturbs me a wee bit to have my left foot forward. Looking to do what Motorhead did this winter on my bike.
Krauser4valve

Post by Krauser4valve »

Are there pics somewhere of Motorhead's bike?

Yeah, I can't speak for the toe/carb interference as I have Bings and Size 9.5s, but I'm a goofy-footed surfer and it disturbs me a wee bit to have my left foot forward. Looking to do what Motorhead did this winter on my bike.[/quote]
Motorhead

Post by Motorhead »

5united is the web site

Lymans Red is the album of the process of my owner ship of my 1973 R75/5 from Red to Fred

there is a photo of my shifter before I made my shifter, as I did what Mel would like to do with with his left foot even the pegs and improve the lever position............ alway trying to make a better Beemer
Motorhead

Post by Motorhead »

Did you guys go to 5United to look?