77 to 78 shift linkage conversion

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Motorhead

Re: 77 to 78 shift linkage conversion

Post by Motorhead »

Yes the rod was too short

I found a better quality rod end and threaded a rod the rod ends have a deep thread for adjustment

the seat is from my Sportster the front fits just under the tank and a wing nut hold the seat tap

I may eventually get a early big tank and stock seat or /7 police solo called a bread loaf seat depends what I can find....
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Thanks, I thought as much on the linkage. The seat did look vaguely familiar, I have been going on e-bay looking at solo seats that may work on the R90/6 series. Most of what I have seen are for Harleys, which is OK, but I am having a problem seeing how they would work on my bike. Most look like I would have to use the old seat pan as a base, so I still had access to the tool box. This outfit in Germany seems to have decent prices, may get a seat from them. Here is your solo model.

http://www.bmwbayer.de/index.php?page=p ... a3llajjal7

gg
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Krauser4valve wrote:I'm tired of having my left foot bumping up under the Mikuni and I'm wondering if anyone has tried converting to the '78 shift linkage setup. Can I buy this set and just bolt it on or this a nasty job? http://tinyurl.com/72o6n9n
To add to/consolidate what has been said...

It is perfectly possible to fit the 'Kinematic' linkage (which is what you're referring to) to the earlier models. In fact, what you are looking at on Ebay appears to be a retrofit kit as supplied by BMW for this purpose (still available I think). To be pedantic, it has been further modified so that the original 'bent wire' linkage is replaced by the later ball joint type.

If you want to go down this route, you have to get the retrofit kit as the stock footpegs used on the later (/7) models are different and won't easily fit on the earlier models.

As far as the position goes, It is correct that the footpeg (and, therefore, the foot) remains in the same place but the kinematic linkage requires less movement and by adjusting the later linkage, you can lower the lever a bit which might be enough to solve your problem without butchering the pegs. Worth a try.... depends if you want to go for the 'rearset' look or prefer to stick with the BMW position.

Regards

Rob
ImageImageImage
Motorhead

Post by Motorhead »

I was leaning toward the rear set idea with out major cost with a proven comfort position idea that works
Krauser4valve

Post by Krauser4valve »

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I like the way these guys did it:
Motorhead

Post by Motorhead »

I like mine as the kicker can still be used, although I never use it for starts

Even though Tim one will have to move the heal to reach the shifter as soon as I can I'll repost with my shifter