The Water-cooled Boxer

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Major Softie

The Water-cooled Boxer

Post by Major Softie »

Here's a lot of detail on the new "water-cooled" boxer. In fact, it's actually "air/water" instead of the current "air/oil," so they still haven't gone to a full liquid cooled motor, and the cooling scheme isn't that much different than the Oilhead, but the rest of the engine design has changed a LOT.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/12/21/bm ... d=obinsite

So, WetHead?

MS - out
jtoml

Re: The Water-cooled Boxer

Post by jtoml »

Beautiful engine - hideous motorcycle!
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

jtoml wrote:Beautiful engine - hideous motorcycle!
Hmmm, two things:

It's a superb motorcycle. I presume you mean it's a hideous looking motorcycle.

I'm not sure how you can like one and not the other. If you look close, the front cover of the engine is designed with exactly the same lines as the whole motorcycle. :o

I actually don't find the bike near as ugly as some earlier GS's. It's starting to look more like a real dirt bike, and I can get into that. I find the praying mantis mouth on the leading edge of the front fender the only detail to be over-the-top for me.
MS - out
jtoml

Post by jtoml »

I did mean hideous looking motorcycle. Like most of the oilheads, it looks like the styling inspiration came from a Borg space station. I wish BMW would go back to "form follows function" styling, left behind with the /7s, although the early Ks were pretty good.
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

I see a coupla new drain plugs........ :o

Oh right, Rob has a new bike that doesn't need to be serviced. :mrgreen:
Garnet

ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I also think it looks hideous. Actually, I think it looks like it was T boned at an intersection.
Not a luddite's engine. :geek:
Lord of the Bings
pmonk

Post by pmonk »

when the R1200RT came out I thought it was the ugliest motorcycle BMW ever built. I still don't like them, but that is just my opinion. I still think the /5 and /6 BMW's were the best looking ones built, and turning them into a cafe racer is just ruining a classic. Again just my opinion so not worth much. I own a 1200GS, and don't kid myself that it is the best looking bike I ever saw, Just quite possibly the best riding one though.

Personally I think the new water cooled GS looks ok. The transformer / robot theme works better on a GS than an RT.

I have some hope that some day they will build an RT what is beautifully rounded like my /6, but probably won't happen since they are targeting younger folks than me.
driggs

Post by driggs »

Major Softie wrote:
I find the praying mantis mouth on the leading edge of the front fender the only detail to be over-the-top for me.
Yeah, the serrated cutting-edge tip on the front "fender" is a little off-putting to me.....and the silver "wing" thingy on the side, sporting the BMW logo, seems a little contrived too....
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

driggs wrote:
Major Softie wrote:
I find the praying mantis mouth on the leading edge of the front fender the only detail to be over-the-top for me.
Yeah, the serrated cutting-edge tip on the front "fender" is a little off-putting to me.....and the silver "wing" thingy on the side, sporting the BMW logo, seems a little contrived too....
That would be my second least favorite detail, but easier to live with than the fender. I believe that may be focusing air into the radiator, so you probably have to live with it.
MS - out
hal

Post by hal »

Is it so that the r1200r won't get the new engine yet?
Hal

'74 R90/6
'97 R850R