Hello

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Marty

Hello

Post by Marty »

Just joined the forum. I have a '95 PD Classic and have just bought a '76 R100S. It needs a bit of engine work (I think I have all the parts needed) but may need help at different times.
When converting from points to electronic ignition, is the later BMW system able to be modified to suit ?
Cheers
Marty
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: Hello

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Marty wrote:Just joined the forum. I have a '95 PD Classic and have just bought a '76 R100S. It needs a bit of engine work (I think I have all the parts needed) but may need help at different times.
When converting from points to electronic ignition, is the later BMW system able to be modified to suit ?
Cheers
Marty

Welcome to the forum, Marty.

Regarding your '76 R100S: I'm guessing you're referring to the build date as opposed to model year date, or it's a R90S "updated" to 1,000 cc. Not that it makes any difference to the answer to your question.

Changing your ignition to the later BMW airhead system would take a heroic effort. First the camshaft would need to be changed, and secondly the "spacer" between the engine block and front cover (and the front cover) would need to be changed. Those are just 3 things that immediately come to mind. Plus the "look" of the engine would be changed, if that's important to you.

I think you will be much better off with one of a handful of aftermarket electronic ignitions. Probably you will get some recommendations which one you choose. I recommend you don't choose the Dyna III ignition. I'm still cranky about the difficulty (for me) to get the L and R cylinders to spark at the same time. And I'm even crankier about being stranded on the road once (and stranded in the shop once (when I went to take the bike for a ride).

I like points for simplicity and ease of replacing on the road if necessary.

There will be others here who will disagree with me and give you what you asked for, a recommendation.

Ken

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Ken -

I'm one who will disagree about the Dyna III...yes it's fiddly but once set, it's set. I do recommend, even for any of the EIs, carry all of the parts to convert back in the rare instance it fails. There are other ignition systems, all with plusses and minuses. Anton lists some of these here:

http://www.largiader.com/articles/ignition/

Kurt in S.A.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Welcome Marty.
There are a few Ozzies here and the occasional Kiwi. Good to see another from the region.
Pictures are always good fodder for us lot too.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Marty wrote: but may need help at different times.
Welcome Marty, don't be afraid to ask for help.

There are quite a few of us that need it.
Lord of the Bings
Mal S7

Post by Mal S7 »

Hi Marty

Boyer works great for me on my 77 R100S.
It didnt cost much ( Motobins)and was easy to install
I dont miss the points.

I hope you can post pics of your bikes.
Cheers
Mal
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks for your welcome. I was indeed refering to the build date but guess it is a '77 S. Engine and frame numbers match and it has been modified with Lester type wheels and a black paint job. It had dropped a circlip and stuffed the barrel and piston. The RH head is very dodgy also. The Cosmic Spares Company has come up with a complete '80 100RT engine (after buying a barrel and piston from the US- doesn't it always happen) with good barrels and heads so these will donor the needed parts. Headers will be modified to the 40mm ports. Gary from Oz has helped with correct engine badges (cheers) so time is all thats needed.
Unsure how to post pics but project will take a couple of months due to time constraints (read work). Impressed by the helpfulness of the Airhead community with parts and information. Lots to learn, though I have had airheads for about 10 years. My grounding is in older British bikes so the BM technology suits me.
Thanks for the heads up on the ignition. Would anyone have an electronic kit for the earlier bikes spare ?
Cheers
Marty
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Hey Marty, if you've been into old Brit bikes, can you tell me about this?

Triumph 5/1
Engine number 1. S6. 4031
Frame S.5213

My mate has been trying to establish this bikes origin. It's a family heirloom sort of thing. The plate added to the guard says it's a '37, but he's been told it is possibly a 1935.

Here's a video Ian did just last weekend.

http://youtu.be/AAA2lJe0Q6E
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Hi Steve
Sorry Steve I tend towards AJS, Matchless and Vincent. The best would be to ask on the prewar Triumph Yahoo group
Cheers
Marty