Output Shaft Seal for '92 GS

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
DonW

Output Shaft Seal for '92 GS

Post by DonW »

Howdy, In case you've followed my other thread, I finally got 2 of the three transmissions appropriately shimmed. (waiting on the clutch rod seal for the other before I button it up.

So, I ordered new output shaft seals and they are quite different from my old ones. They came from Cycle Works (great to deal with, BTW) and are 5-SPEED TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SEAL, TEFLON - 1987 & LATER

The seal it s single membrane, not the rubber double lip. So, I can't put it in "backwards" as I would for the old seals on a para lever. Does it just go in normal? It looks like the membrane seals both ways.

Help!

Thanks,

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
Deleted User 62

Re: Output Shaft Seal for '92 GS

Post by Deleted User 62 »

These seals need to be preformed before installation. Since you don't have the factory tool to do this, put electrical tape over the worm gear portion of the output flange to avoid damaging it. Place the seal on the output flange, open end towards the transmission side and leave for two hours before removing and installing in the transmission cover. (according to Haynes) Note: it goes on the flange really easy so don't push too hard...
DonW

Post by DonW »

OK, thanks. I wonder- like with the old style seals- does the open end go a different direction for "normal" bikes, compared to the paralever ones?

Oh, and also, by "open end" do you mean the seal lip points toward the transmission?
Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

You want to keep the oil in the box and out of the Paralever, compared to a mono and twin shock where you want to keep the oil in the drive shaft housing and out of the box.

And if you don't know which way round that is you probably shouldnt be taking gear boxes apart.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Deleted User 62

DonW wrote:OK, thanks. I wonder- like with the old style seals- does the open end go a different direction for "normal" bikes, compared to the paralever ones?

Oh, and also, by "open end" do you mean the seal lip points toward the transmission?
Don
Yes, and yes, after you form it over the output flange. The open end is the side the spring would be on an old style seal. The other side is flat and where you will need to tap on it to install in rear transmission cover. Don't forget to seal the vent hole once it's installed.
DonW

Post by DonW »

Thanks, I get it. I sort of miss the old seals with the spring.
And if you don't know which way round that is you probably shouldnt be taking gear boxes apart
And not sure I really appreciate or need anyone to tell me what I "should" do on my bike. I already had a mother. The incredible value of this site is getting helpful advice (or confirmation) from others so we can whatever we want on these bikes. I've rebuilt 5-6 gearboxes over the years, including the ones I've put 50K miles on afterwards. Just asking about a new part/procedure.

Thanks,

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
Deleted User 62

Pic of the seal: Image
DonW

Post by DonW »

Thanks Tim, I have two new ones that look just like that.

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP