Using an oilhead tach on my '92 GS

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
DonW

Using an oilhead tach on my '92 GS

Post by DonW »

The tach on my GS crapped out a few months ago. 2nd or 3rd time an airhead electronic tach has failed for me. Don't really want to spend the money to have it rebuilt, as don't really consider it essential, just sort of interesting info.

But, I have a working tach from a '03 R1150RTP, and low and behold, the plug connections are identical. With a little gap filling work, I could fit this right in the same hole. Anybody know if the signal from the airhead electronic ignition will drive (accurately) an oilhead tach? I'm confused by the "lost spark" issue...

Also, I'd appreciate suggestions of other options. I've seen very small electronic (digital readout) tachs. Not interested in one of the older small add-on tachs like on the R80G/S, or earlier R100GS.

Thanks,

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
Major Softie

Re: Using an oilhead tach on my '92 GS

Post by Major Softie »

Plug it in and try it!

I can't remember if my oilhead has a waste spark, but if it doesn't, then the tach will read twice as fast, which will be pretty obvious to you.
MS - out
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

I have tried a few differnt tachos, but there just seem to be to much "background noise" on a GS ignition for a more modern tach, and they just wouldnt give a steady, stable sensible reading for any length of time, they just jumped all over the place.

But that may have been specific to my bike, so a test is gong to be the only way of finding out if yours does the same.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Armaguidon13

Post by Armaguidon13 »

That's plug and play. It works as the original
DonW

Post by DonW »

Cool, thanks.

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
DonW

Post by DonW »

Hmmm, problem. Good news- engine is back to running. Bad news- neither tach shows any RPM. Now I'm wondering if it is a wiring or other problem.

Is there an easy way to check, using a digital volt meter, if the tach signal wire is getting anything from the electronic ignition? Or a way to put some voltage on the tach itself and see if the needle responds? I suppose I could have two bad tachometers, but seems unlikely.

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »