Fuel line- wadda ya use?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
DonW

Fuel line- wadda ya use?

Post by DonW »

In putting things together on the GS, I now have leaking fuel connections at the tee's coming from cross engine fuel line.

I really like the BMW braid covered line because it is easy to bend and get on and off. But, it seems to only last about a year.

I have some auto 1/4 inch fuel line that fits, but it is fatter and harder to bend around. Anyone have suggestions?

thanks,

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
Deleted User 62

Re: Fuel line- wadda ya use?

Post by Deleted User 62 »

The MaxBMW fiche shows a thin wall unbraided tubing for R100GS. This is what I use and it's the bees knees: Image
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

I use 1/4" automotive fuel line. It's cheap(er), readily available, and I can live with the stiffness. And it's tenacious, sometimes being a bit difficult to slip off the petcock or carb nipple. The last part isn't a virtue, except that I don't worry much about leaks.

Ken

Post by Roy Gavin »

My 93 GS still had the factory BMW branded hose beneath the air box.
It was marked 6 mm x11 mm and was unreinforced rubber similar to the hoses on most Jap bikes, and available from any Jap bike dealer, together with neat little spring clips.

Like Ken I use the best hose I can find , which for me is the 6 mm reinforced pressure hose intended for the low pressure injection systems fitted to most auto's today.
It only seems to come in with the correct code to denote resistance to whatever it is in todays gas that causes the damage - and it isn't the alcohol.
It doesn't need clips as it gets a decent grip on the nipples, and will probably last the life if the bike.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I'm using some thin walled stuff also. Its quite soft but appears to be doing its job ok after a couple of months.
I like a little grease on the barbed connectors, makes it easier to remove the hose when I want to. No clamps either.
Lord of the Bings
Bgarceau

Post by Bgarceau »

Hello All - new here...

I have begun using and would recommend this yellow PVC fuel line from McMaster-Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/123/=n5b5cg.

5552K25 Fuel and Lubricant Yellow Tygon PVC Tubing, 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD, 1/16" Wall Thickness, 20' Length
Formulation: F-4040-A

I believe I read about it in a Snowbum article. So far I'm very pleased with it, and it is supposedly not affected by light, and especially important it is impervious to gasoline and the ethanol additive in our fuel.

I also place a washer on the petcock tube before slipping on the tubing. It makes line removal very easy.

I'd post an image but it appears I am underprivileged, being a newbie.

Bg
Last edited by Bgarceau on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

Just make sure that whatever you use will work with today's fuel, the last time I used no name fuel line it rotted within 12 months.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I have the Motobins cloth covered stuff. It's fine and has lasted well.

A fellow @ Advrider suggested that once cut, the cloth ends dipped in superglue prevent the cloth from fraying.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
DucatiPete

Post by DucatiPete »

I use m'bin hose. It's pretty cheap, looks good and it seems to last well. The superglue tip sounds worthy. I used some clear nail polish (I use for my camera gear :) ) but it doesn't stop the fraying...
DonW

Post by DonW »

Bgarceau wrote:I also place a washer on the petcock tube before slipping on the tubing. It makes line removal very easy.
Bg
Brilliant! Thanks!

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...