3/4 Sport Seat

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
tomjohnston

3/4 Sport Seat

Post by tomjohnston »

I have a 3/4 sport seat, similar to the ones that came as an option and at one time,for one year, as part of a bench/sport pair with a new bike. "RS" I think. I have always thought mine was a nice aftermarket replica. This weekend while working on some electrics, I removed the seat and noticed a BMW part number in the plastic cowling. Now I'm wondering if I have one of the "coveted" originals..........thing is....the pan is a very solid steel but the cowling is plastic. I thought the original cowlings were also steel. Anyone know the story.plastic/steel ????? TomJ
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: 3/4 Sport Seat

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

tomjohnston wrote:I have a 3/4 sport seat, similar to the ones that came as an option and at one time,for one year, as part of a bench/sport pair with a new bike. "RS" I think. I have always thought mine was a nice aftermarket replica. This weekend while working on some electrics, I removed the seat and noticed a BMW part number in the plastic cowling. Now I'm wondering if I have one of the "coveted" originals..........thing is....the pan is a very solid steel but the cowling is plastic. I thought the original cowlings were also steel. Anyone know the story.plastic/steel ????? TomJ

I don't know the story, but I have a 3/4 seat cowling. It is made of plastic. I went out to look at it. The plastic is dark gray in color and there is a molded BMW logo embossed (actually standing proud of the surface) on the top inside just behind the rear of the seat itself.

FYI BMW did not use a laid up fiberglass. Rather it was chopped glass fibers embedded in the resin. You don't really see any evident fibers. The thickness of the plastic is pretty thin to my eye, thinner than I would expect especially if it were made of hand laid fiberglass cloth. If repairs are needed I seem to remember that a special resin is necessary. But I don't have any direct experience.

My 3/4 cowl was acquired in a trade, so I don't know the provenance. But I'd say if your cowl matches my description you have a "coveted" original.

The dual seat cowls were made of steel. At least I've never seen one made of plastic.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Re: 3/4 Sport Seat

Post by SteveD »

Yep, steel base but the cowling isn't steel.

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.