1984 R65 :Tell me more

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Deleted User 62

1984 R65 :Tell me more

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I'm looking at a neglected 1984 R65 that's for sale here on the island. Lady who is friend of the owner says it last ran two years ago. Stale gas in tank, rusty frame, front brake and suspension still works, engine turns with rear wheel, seat is toast, 79,000 miles on the odometer. Your standard barn find, Puna style... I think I can get it pretty cheap. My question is this, anything R65 specific I should watch out for? I like that it has a bean can ignition, clutch carrier and handlebar master cylinder. Possible Cafe racer material. Are R65 headers model specific? Do the carbs, wheels, transmission, rear drive etc all interchange with the 1970s Boxers?
Deleted User 287

Re: 1984 R65 :Tell me more

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Headers are R65 specific.

Carbs are, too. I know of a pair that are rejetted for the "2nd generation" heads/valves!
The guy I sold my baskets to is planning on putting a R100 engine in the frame I sold him, so he is planning on getting rid of them. They are even set up with manual pulls so no enrichener cables are needed!

Gearbox is later style, so it would not swap out with anything earlier than 1981.

Wheels? Is there something wrong with them? Wire hubs can be fitted, but they are... difficult.

Final drive is the same box as the Type 247s, just different gearing.
Deleted User 62

Thanks Rob, do you know if the heads are the same as 247, what year did the 2nd generation start ? Wheels are oxidized snowflakes. I may be interested in those carbs if they come up for sale...
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Different bore Tim, so different heads.
Lord of the Bings
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Tim Shepherd wrote:Thanks Rob, do you know if the heads are the same as 247, what year did the 2nd generation start ? Wheels are oxidized snowflakes. I may be interested in those carbs if they come up for sale...
'81 was second generation, with several updates, some of which were immediately updated again.... Start of electronic ignition, nikasil cylinders, lighter flywheel and different gearbox. Mostly the same stuff as the rest of the airhead line.

If you buy it make sure you join R65.org.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
DonW

Post by DonW »

Absolutely join R65.org. I've owned and pulled apart about 6 R65's. They share some parts with R80ST's which are unique, but nearly all post '81 parts are the same as other airheads- My experience is the tranny, carbs, lights, all electrics, ignition, etc. are the same. The engines have some differences, though not sure below the barrels what might be different (meaning crank). The valve stems are thinner and fail at times. The pistons are of course unique, not sure about the rods. Tach and speedo are unique to R65's and R80ST's (different gearing on speedo, though they work, maybe more accurately). If I remember the front snowflake is 18" not 19". The rear drive is quite low- I sold nearly all of mine to sidecar guys who love them.

Hope that helps.

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

DonW wrote:If I remember the front snowflake is 18" not 19".
Don
Correct. And, the R65 front snowflake was not included in the recall.

Unique headers was mentioned - mufflers are unique too. The black LS ones are pretty famous for rusting out, but where you are that probably applies to everything.
MS - out
Deleted User 62

Thanks for the info guys. It's not an LS; chrome mufflers and no fairing. A quick search of the MaxBMW fiche shows the chrome headers are still available. The headers and carbs were some of the crustiest looking parts on the bike, along with the rotted seat pan and crusty subframe. Edit: just talked to the owner on the Mainland. He said doesn't have the title for it, got it in a trade for a dirt bike on Kauai over 12 years ago. Unfortunately, the plates weren't stored and Hawaii DMV now charges all unpaid registration fees, so that alone would cost almost $1000. I offered him $300 and he agreed, so it's going to be a parts bike. It has a nice set of Krausers on it that should cover that cost, so I'm getting it for the cost of the tow from the other end of the island. Woo Hoo!
DonW

Post by DonW »

Here's some good news:

The tranny: unless wrecked, is a jewel- has the circlip, never had to work that hard on a 650cc bike, same one on all airheads that year.
All the electrical: same bean can, black box, alternator, etc. as other '84's.
Clutch: same as all airheads, probably in great shape.
Frame: I cut one up and how have a headstock I can clamp in a vise to work on front ends off the bike, you can also make an engine stand mount from the frame.
If the front turnsignal/headlight mounting plate is good, advertise it for R80ST. The ST guys are always looking for good ones. Same with the battery box, same with the headlight bucket and chrome ring, same with the handlebar controls...

Plus, it's really fun to take apart a bike you have no intention of putting back together.

Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
Deleted User 62

Good reply Don! I've already thought of the engine stand mod, the fork tool idea is good too. If I can get it to run, I've also thought of stripping it down for use as a off road bike. I am VERY good at pulling bikes apart...