1984 R65 :Tell me more

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
DonW

Re: 1984 R65 :Tell me more

Post by DonW »

OK, not quite on the subject, but...
The first "parts" R65 I bought was a LS. Got it for $500, not running, been in a garage for 5 yrs. Swapped the bean can, and it ran great. It had all papers since new, including those form the NY dealer that installed Del Orto carbs (I kid you not), rear sets, and Koni's. The bike was too small for me, but I crammed my 6'2" carcass on the thing and rode the crap out of it. Really fun! It did, however, break a valve stem somewhere a bit north of redline, and became a parts bike that microsecond. I think I sold the Del Ortos and rear sets for more than I bought the bike for.

Don
Last edited by DonW on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

You're a bad boy.
MS - out
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

There is not much about the engine that would swap with a 248.

Items the same are: front cover, starter cover, airbox - and electricals. And oil pan. :)

Different from 247 is crank, cam, con-rods, push rods, pistons... you get the idea.
I would imagine the crankcase is different as the angle of the push rods (and seals and tubes) is different, as well.

Short stroke.

This is a very good page to read: http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/r65faq ... GS_TO_KNOW
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Thanks Rob, good source. Curious, I see it mentioned in a few places that these bikes have a shorter or thinner frame. Is it just the swingarm and subframe that's shorter, or is there some major difference in the main frame?
Deleted User 287

I can't honestly say if the dimensions of the main loop are different.
I can't say for a 1984 Type 287, but in 1979 (the year of my R65) the footpeg mounts on the frame were quite a bit different. Pillion, too.

Yes, the subframe is definitely shorter.

Maybe they lowered it with shorter forks and shocks? I don't know.
I think it was a narrower seat and sub-frame. The battery is definitely smaller.

I will PM my friend's phone number who has the carbs. Right now they are jetted for 2nd gen heads, so that is good.
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

DonW wrote: The pistons are of course unique, not sure about the rods.
Don
Back when I had a copy of the ETK parts program on my computer, I could use it to see what models a given part would fit. The piston clips for my R65 are the old type wire clips, not the ones that use the special pliers to install and remove. And I think I'm remembering right that the pistons were in common with the R75. I was surprised.

I don't know how to check applications with the program that RealOEM and the others have.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
Deleted User 287

enigmaT120 wrote:I don't know how to check applications with the program that RealOEM and the others have.
On RealOEM there is a field for part number. That will show you every use in both moto and auto usage. (fasteners and electrical connectors, for instance)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=63217167000
Deleted User 62

It's Home!

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Image Image Image Image Image
Deleted User 287

A little salt in the air? :shock:

The headlight/turnsignal mount looks to be in decent shape. That will go quickly.
The rubber instrument surround is worth money if the rubber is not torn.

And the saddlebag mounts will be sold easily, if they are sound. They are unique to the twin-shock R65.

Deliver the rest to melville. :lol:
melville

Re: It's Home!

Post by melville »

Tim Shepherd wrote:Image Image Image
justoneoftheguys wrote:Deliver the rest to melville.
Hey! There's something about this bike that speaks to me, even before I read Rob's post :oops:

Actually, there's an R65 near me that's been out in a yard, under and not under a tarp, for a few years. It's got either a Vetter or Lufty fairing (can't remember which right now) and bags. I'm quietly figuring out how to make it fit in el Kombi so I can sneak it home without Muriel seeing it.

It's the 'sneaking' and 'home' that present the difficulty, as il Kombi is pretty frickin' loud :mrgreen:
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.