Fuel line- wadda ya use?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
mattcfish

Re: Fuel line- wadda ya use?

Post by mattcfish »

Use this stuff. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ngfuel.php
You ever wonder why you have black gunk in your carb when you remove the main jet? It's your old fashioned rubber fuel line dissolving. Polyurethane lines last forever and won't get stiff, crack, or dissolve. These are even made by Bing.
Bellingham, WA USA
1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW 2002
1971 VW Westfalia
1985 VW Vanagon
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1074183/
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

I started converting my bikes to Gates Barricade fuel line as it is formulated to resist ethanol.

I had bought some fuel line of the traditional German cloth covered style in a bulk roll from (I think) Hucky's. It developed leaks within about one year. The fact that the leaks were at the bottom of the carbs on my Cafe' Racer caused me to not diagnose the problem and kept the bike off the road for quite a long time. I'll take responsibility for poor diagnostic work but no more old school fuel line for me.

Chuey
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Someone should cover some of the new stuff with the old black cloth.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

justoneoftheguys wrote:Someone should cover some of the new stuff with the old black cloth.
Brilliant idea Robert!

That old black cloth has covered a fair bit over the years hasn't it. :twisted:
Too obscure?
Lord of the Bings
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

ME 109 wrote:
justoneoftheguys wrote:Someone should cover some of the new stuff with the old black cloth.
Brilliant idea Robert!

That old black cloth has covered a fair bit over the years hasn't it. :twisted:
Too obscure?
I think it is damn cool looking, myself - as long as it is the black, and NOT the grey! :ugeek:
Jean

Post by Jean »

The shiny black stuff that BING sells lasts forever.
BTW, DO NOT USE the BLUE fabric-covered stuff that a lot of VW supply shops sells. it dissolves rather quickly. I think it is for brake fluid or ?? One thing for sure, it is NOT for GASOLINE.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Jean wrote:The shiny black stuff that BING sells lasts forever.
BTW, DO NOT USE the BLUE fabric-covered stuff that a lot of VW supply shops sells. it dissolves rather quickly. I think it is for brake fluid or ?? One thing for sure, it is NOT for GASOLINE.
Correct, blue VW hose is for brake fluid.
DonW

Post by DonW »

mattcfish wrote:Use this stuff. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ngfuel.php
You ever wonder why you have black gunk in your carb when you remove the main jet? It's your old fashioned rubber fuel line dissolving. Polyurethane lines last forever and won't get stiff, crack, or dissolve. These are even made by Bing.

I ordered, received and installed this stuff. It is GREAT, and looks kinda cool to.
Thanks,
Don
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...