Another Newbie Question - Sidestand Auto Retract!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Primate

Re: Another Newbie Question - Sidestand Auto Retract!

Post by Primate »

Hey ISK, sorry, nothing about your side stand. Just a welcome to you to the forum.
1974 R90/6 ::Thor::
"Bones aren't important; we like motorcycles." --My boy D @ 4 years.
Dan in IL

Post by Dan in IL »

ISK let us know if it worked out, I’d hate to think I steered you wrong. After thinking about it, my ‘88 RT came rigged that way when I bought it. I do remember turning that tab on my old /6 to get the kick stand to stay deployed.

Ken....the kick stand on my ‘88 has a deployment tab that sits between the shifter and foot peg. I’ve learned to use the heel of my boot to kick it out. I’ve got to where I can do it without looking.
Jean

Post by Jean »

The pivot point for the stock stand (78R100s)is so far forward it is a trial for anyone with short legs.
I moved the tab so the stand wouldn't retract by itself but it's still hard to get it deployed.
Hence...aftermarket stand that pivots further back and can be deployed with 30-inch inseam legs
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Jean wrote:The pivot point for the stock stand (78R100s)is so far forward it is a trial for anyone with short legs . . .
I'm one of those who has long legs, so of course I get along just fine with the /6 and /7 side stands. But having said that, since the stand is spring loaded, you must keep your toe on the tab until the bike is fully leaned over. Sometimes, such as when parking on gravel or uncertain dirt, that amounts to an act of faith.

It's pretty easy to see why so many people like the Brown and similar side stands. You deploy it while in the saddle and the thing stays in place and is in sight all the way until the bike is safely leaned over.

It seems to me that there was something to hate for some people on all airhead side stands from /6 thru the monolever bikes (no personal experience with /5s). How could BMW not have gotten it right for at least a few of so many years?

Ken

Post by Major Softie »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:[
It seems to me that there was something to hate for some people on all airhead side stands from /6 thru the monolever bikes (no personal experience with /5s). How could BMW not have gotten it right for at least a few of so many years?
Ken
Consistency?
MS - out
Motu

Post by Motu »

I'm a short arse, and have an extension on my stand that works very well. You can see it here - I put my toe on the knob and push it down, my foot land on the deck same time as the stand and I step off the bike...just like I have long legs.

Here it is deployed, you can see how far back the toe knob is. Makes a stupid unusable sidestand very usable.

Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Motu wrote:I'm a short arse, and have an extension on my stand that works very well. You can see it here - I put my toe on the knob and push it down, my foot land on the deck same time as the stand and I step off the bike...just like I have long legs.

Here it is deployed, you can see how far back the toe knob is. Makes a stupid unusable sidestand very usable.

Very creative!

Ken

Post by Jean »

It wouldn't have to be quite THAT long wither...if you have to clear a foot-starter.
I do like this.
Maybe could even be made a bit better by making the extension part of the "foot" for more stability in grass or dirt!
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Very creative!

Ken
Did you see the lobster back Ken?
Lord of the Bings
bbelk

To MOTU

Post by bbelk »

Looks brilliant. Two observations. 1) If bell bottom jeans come back you are in trouble. 2) ill bet that bike is loud
1975 R90/6
1979 R65