No fire!!!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Lifebeat

No fire!!!

Post by Lifebeat »

Hello again all!

So here I am all happy that I succesfully lapped the valves on the cylinder that had only 60psi of compression... I now have it at 120psi! Wouhouuu!

During the time I was working on this (2-3 days) I had a tarp on the bike, because I don't have a garage :(

One night there was quite a storm, and the tarp lifted, and it rained on the bike. Thing is, that I had removed the gas tank in order to look at other stuff.

So today, when I completed my reassembly of the head and all, the bike wouldn't start anymore!! Checked a plug for fire... nothing...

I haven't received my Clymer yet, so in debugging this fire issue, I was wondering if there are any precious bits of electrical stuff under the tank, that would have likely suffered from the rain?

Thanks in advance!!

1976, R75/6

Luc
dwerbil

Re: No fire!!!

Post by dwerbil »

When you turn your key on, do you have lights at the instrument cluster and does your starter work? If not, it
could be something as simple as your starter relay electrical connections need attention/cleaning. Moisture can cause this. Should be located under the gas tank just underneath the master cylinder.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Lifebeat

Post by Lifebeat »

Yep, my instruments come on, and the starter can go at it without any problem...
Does this then point somewhere else?
Thanks
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I have a page on ignition that may be of some help. Did you read it?
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Lifebeat

Post by Lifebeat »

No Duane, I'm sorry to say I haven't... Will do tomorrow. If I get on your site now, I know I'll be on for at least an hour... And I NEED to get some sleep ;-)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Duane Ausherman wrote:I have a page on ignition that may be of some help. Did you read it?
It may be a good idea to include a link to your website Duane.

Not everyone on planet earth has heard of you.

Diane on the other hand............................ :?
Lord of the Bings
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

Website is on his profile page.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

dwerbil wrote:Website is on his profile page.
Well what's it doing there?

It needs to be on his signature or avatar thingy where basic folk like me can find it. :idea:
Lord of the Bings
Lifebeat

Post by Lifebeat »

Ahhhh Duane! Great stuff on your page...

Will do the procedure tonight when I get back home. Question for you all, considering I want to ride as soon as possible : I would like to get all the parts necesary for the ignition system : Points, Advance, condenser, coils. I'll replace whatever is wrong now, and have the rest on hand for the future.

Where would you suggest I buy these on the web?

BTW, I ordered the points setting tool from Paul! Should be arriving today!

Thanks everyone
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

By the way, since you had the tank off, my first instinct is not that the rain did something, but that YOU did something. I suspect you disconnected something, either purposefully or inadvertently, and that is what has killed your spark. Something as simple as a wire to the coils would be the first place I'd look (they being right under the tank and all).
MS - out