No fire!!!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Deleted User 62

Re: No fire!!!

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Yep, could be the coil connection shorting to the tank, too...
Jean

Post by Jean »

Check for spark with the gas tank OFF the frame. Just put a spare spark plug in one of the leads and lay it on the fins to do this. You don't even have to unscrew a plug!
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Jean wrote:Check for spark with the gas tank OFF the frame. Just put a spare spark plug in one of the leads and lay it on the fins to do this. You don't even have to unscrew a plug!
Smart.
MS - out
Lifebeat

Post by Lifebeat »

So, I got the tank off, didn't find anything there...

Pulled the generator cover in order to start Duanes procedure. First thing : about a teaspoon of water came out of the cavity where the points are ... :-( Can't be good right?
Second thing, the wire to the points had the mesh insulation badly frayed but the wire itself wasn't affected. This must have been weird on the advance of the bike no?
Third, while the bike was fine a week ago, now, the points didn't even open! They remained closed through all of the rotation of the crank. This is due to wear of the felt follower thing right? But so sudden?

I then did the points seperations by hand test, and wouhouuuu! Sparks!!!

I will be receiving my points setting tool today, so I didn't start fussing with it last night.

On the shopping list : Points, and the gasket for that lower part...

Thanks for your help guys!
Lifebeat

Post by Lifebeat »

Oh! Another quick question : the coils on my 1976 R75/6, they are 12 Volts right? Not the 6 Volts one from the VW's right?

Thanks
melville

Post by melville »

Lifebeat wrote:Oh! Another quick question : the coils on my 1976 R75/6, they are 12 Volts right? Not the 6 Volts one from the VW's right?

Thanks
The stock coils are 6V, wired in series gives 6 + 6 = 12. And yes, they are the exact same size as a VW coil.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Lifebeat wrote:Oh! Another quick question : the coils on my 1976 R75/6, they are 12 Volts right? Not the 6 Volts one from the VW's right?

No, not right. The stock coils are each 6V. Their primaries are wired in series which makes the 12V. And the stock coils are, indeed, the ones used on VW's.

Some people here say that it's a good idea to put in new coils, say every decade or so. They do deteriorate with age. I haven't been doing that myself, but what I have done is to buy a new set of coils and put them into my spares box against the time when I will need them. If a bike of mine develops ignition problems I'll do a bit of ignition trouble shooting, but will put in the new coils early in the game.

I understand that the stock 6V VW coils have gone way up in price, but I personally would lay in a set anyhow. Of course I have more than one airhead to support.

Editing: Hmm, it looks like Melville beat me to the punch by a handful of minutes. What are you doing up so early anyhow, Melville?

Ken

Post by melville »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Editing: Hmm, it looks like Melville beat me to the punch by a handful of minutes. What are you doing up so early anyhow, Melville?

Ken
Ducking work!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

melville wrote:
Ken in Oklahoma wrote:

Ken
Ducking work!
I am so glad I don't have to Ducking work any more and every day is a day oDD.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
melville

Post by melville »

bbelk wrote:
melville wrote:
Ken in Oklahoma wrote:

Ken
Ducking work!
I am so glad I don't have to Ducking work any more and every day is a day oDD.
It's around 3 hours a day, and I can pick when I wanna do it. And I can do it in my pajamas. Usually I get most of it done before the family gets up. My days are mostly oDD, as well.