Another Newbie Question - Sidestand Auto Retract!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: Another Newbie Question - Sidestand Auto Retract!

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

ME 109 wrote: Did you see the lobster back Ken?
Uh, no. Unless lobster back is code for something I might have seen but I wasn't cool enough to register it.

Ken, normally cool in OKlahoma

Re: To MOTU

Post by Motu »

bbelk wrote:Looks brilliant. Two observations. 1) If bell bottom jeans come back you are in trouble. 2) ill bet that bike is loud
Yes, had some issues with bellbottoms back in the day - and I'd still wear them if they came back.

We have a 100db limit in NZ, but they sound nice and mellow.

With these....

Completely empty gutted cans and gutted collector is 94db, with 2 into 1 and Supertrapp it is 97db.

The plan was to do away with the collector, but too noisy with the gutted stock cans (110db). I normally use the 2 into 1 and a IDS2 Suppertrapp, but am on the gutted stock system at the moment for quiet morning starts. Will try out the 2 into 2 with megas in summer, but a lot more noise for no more go.
Steve in Golden

Re: R65 Fork lock

Post by Steve in Golden »

justoneoftheguys wrote:One time in a forest parking area, I locked my fork, something I RARELY do.
Well you can see where this is leading. Point is, I made it 2 or 3 miles, out of the woods on the gravel, made three right turns, which apparently it would do O.K.
I was out on the pavement, blissfully cruising along at I forget what speed, when I come upon an interesting looking road to the left, so I slow and start to execute my turn when !WHAM! I am down on the ground and my left foot really hurts. It got caught between the left head and the pavement on the way to settling down.
I'm confused, on the airheads I had, the bike could not be ridden with the fork lock engaged. Unless you only wanted to go around in circles endlessly... Apparently the fork lock was not working correctly on your R65?
pat76r90

Post by pat76r90 »

For what it's worth, I am new to BMWs also, and the side stand is scary, trying to unload a passenger is different, too. I found the best way for me is to hold it down with my toe, and back the bike up, to the stop, and then put full weight on stand.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

It is excellent, not being able to ride away with the side stand deployed. I wonder how many have died.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

In the UK, we use Surefoot side stands as sold by 'works or 'bins. They are pretty secure and hold the car so you can on and off it whilst the bike is on the side stand, this is a very good thing on a fully laden bike, when the rider is stiff from a long day in the saddle.

These stands don't auto retract, so you just need to get into the habit of sweeping the stand closed with your left foot, before starting off. The stands do close on contact with the tarmac if you did leave them down, however if your first left hand turn was taken at speed, I think that the stand would have you off.

Probably easy enough to wire in a brake switch or suchlike to warn you that the stand was deployed.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I think that one of the reasons the oe stand was designed as it is, is to retract safely if it is left down.
My oe stand has always been a stay down stand, as opposed to an auto retract.

The 'olive' at the top of the oe stand allows for transverse movement of the stand which helps prevent it from digging into the tarmac before being swept backwards by contact with the road.

I know from several tests and trials. :oops: My stand has never 'dug in', even a little
Lord of the Bings
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

If you could ride the bike with the fork locked, then someone had tried to steal it in the past. They wrenched it back and forth in a futile attempt to shear it off. What happens is that the groove milled into the stem gets widened a lot. This also tends to bend it. Next time you have the triple clamp out, you will see what I mean. It can be pressed back into shape and that will somewhat straighten the stem too.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

I can't compliment the Brown sidestand enough. It goes down real easy with a flick of the heel. Very stable bike when loaded up, the bike, not me.
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

1. I think the Lobster Back must be the cowling behind the rear of the seat. It is different than any I've seen.

2. If you are short -- interestingly described as "having short legs" -- a Brown side stand is wonderful. If you are a tall gangly SOB "with long legs", you may be able to deploy the stand far enough forward that you can keep pressure on it when it hits the ground and back the bike up until is stays put. The extension pictured on the "Lobster Back" bike is, at the same time, brilliant and not too hot looking. At least, it hits me as no more attractive than the Brown. It turns out that the main thing I use my bikes for is l-o-n-g trips with long days in the saddle. At fuel stops, the Brown is easy to deploy and I dismount and re-mount with the stand down. After two to four hours in one position, I'm kind of stiff. (Don't get excited girls.) The Brown really makes a difference.

3. I couldn't figure how Rob could ride the bike with the lock locked. I think mine would be in a hard left turn if locked. Maybe he forgot to put oil in his transmission and that made it rideable when locked. I keep thinking he needs a Honda. Maybe a new one every two years! :) Sorry, Rob. You may not have known this but sarcasm is my middle name. :)

4. On my bikes that have stock stands, I dismount and then deploy the side stand......or the center stand. Either way, I can't do it when seated.

Chuey